Speck The Cat Has Gone To The Bridge

Guest 2greygirls

Guest 2greygirls

I made the very hard decision to let my old girl go. She was 17 or 18

I wanted to write something about this amazing little cat who has been with me through so much.

Speck enetered my life one evening when she stumbled out of the woods behind my house in Athens OH and passed out at my feet. She was beaten up, bitten in the head and leg, starving and really a mess. I nursed her back to health, my vet told me that she was at least 9- 10, and he could not believe she was alive, as she was asthmatic, and had an infection in her uterus from having so many litters of kittens.

I decided to keep the little thing, who had somehow managed to survive in the wild for so long. She couldn't eat normal cat food, or anything fish flavored, she wasn't litter trained, but asked to go out like a dog. I finally had to go out side, dig up some of her poop and put it in the litter box . She finally got it, and she never had any mistakes.

Speck was my little buddy, always on me, always sleeping next to me, spooned and leaning intome. She came into my life as I began grad school and was about to go through a very tough time. My BF at the time, who I had been with for 6 yrs. lost his battle with mental illness, I finally left him, but he became dangerous, stalking me, breaking into my house, threatening to kill me. Speck was there through all of it, when he came into the house, this little cat would get between him and me and growl at him. Raising her back and hissing....she was one tough customer. She once fought off too large dogs who ran into myhouse from the neighbors' , intent on eating her. She was a ninja cat bouncing in the air between the dogs, yowling and slashing..she sent both of them squealing out the door beofre we could get in to rescue her.

When times were so dark, I couldn't see the way out, I would think about Speck, and how she fought alone in the woods for so long, and decided if my little calico could do it, so could I. When I moved to Colorado, I was concerned about her health and the trip, I had her stay for a while with my friend in OH, until I was settled. I thought if she settled in she could stay in OH and avoid a long car trip, which always aggravated her asthma. 3 months went by, and my friend called me, saying that Speck was depressed, she stopped cleaning herself, she wasn't really eating.... she missed me. I got into my car and drove across the country to get her...she bounced right back, and was such a happy, loyal, demanding kitty for the next few years.

She would slam doors, make late night phone calls, shred books, intimidate the dogs, demand to be let under the covers, and steal the dogs' food right in front of them, even when they were growling at her.....as if to say, go ahead, skinny dog, I'll tear you up, I don't care if I only have 3 teeth!

I always told her I would never let her lose her independence. She went to the bridge like she lived life, full of fight, and love for her mom, I stayed with her until the end.

To my sweet, crazy, tough, crotchety, snuggly,Speck.

Run free Speckers, say Hello to Roadie, my heart is breaking, but I will see you again.

mom

post-4774-1109699373_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2greygirls

What a great tribute. I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphugf_yellow:grouphug

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest tiffyks

Bless you for taking the time to make friends with such a wonderful soul. She taught you many lessons and you learned them well.

Speck is watching over you and will watch out for you, as you did her when she needed you most.

Bless you and hold tight to the memories,

Tiff

Guest 2greygirls

I keep thinking I am going to see her, that she is just sleeping under the covers. ..

I miss her already and I know it's going to be rough for a while. I can't wait to get her back home with me, she always wanted to be with me, and she shall stay with me.

I'm rambling, but I feel so lost.

Have a ball at the Bridge, Speck . . . . for you have all your teeth and many skinny doggies to intimidate! A house without a kitty is *very* empty; perhaps there's another special needs one out there.

:f_white:f_white:f_white

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

I am so sorry. :( I know Speck is chasing butterflies at the Bridge where she will wait patiently for you. My Fluffers will look after Speck. My deepest sympathy. :grouphug:f_white

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am so sorry for your loss.

She was a very special girl...and you were a very special, loving mother.

My sincerest condolences. I hope she's at the Bridge, playing with my sweet Sabu who passed away Saturday.

I know what you mean expecting to see her on your bed. Everytime I look at the stoop at the back door, I expect to see my Sabu sitting there, too.

:f_pink

Guest DeVon

What a wonderful and touching story :heart I believe a guardian angel was watching out for both you and Speck when you crossed paths. May your memories bring comfort and a smile to your face. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest how888

What a beautiful tribute.Just believe that Speck is running through the fields of daisies,chasing butterflies and waiting til we all meet again. :f_pink

Guest ohgreyt
f_yellowIm in tears this morning reading of your sweet Specks tribute. You were blessed the day she walked ~ fell~ into your life. what a special soul. My heart goes out to you. You will see her again. She is happy and at peace.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
When times were so dark, I couldn't see the way out, I would think about Speck, and how she fought alone in the woods for so long, and decided if my little calico could do it, so could I.

This is just an amazing statement. They teach us so much :) And to think that we care for these animals when actually they are caring for us.

Sonya I am so very sorry for you loss but you know that you did what was best for your little ninja kitty ;)

Run free, torment the dogs, and take no crap up there Speck. :)

Guest 2greygirls

Thank you all so much.

Every time I check back, I start crying. I am missing my little Speck so much. She slept next to me every night, and I swear I think she is there. I keep looking for her. She used to come to the door when i came home, just to say hello. I think Leda is missing her more than Marble. Leda and Speck would sleep on the couch head to head. They were by no means cuddly, but I think they liked being close to each other. It's amazing, I have two big greys, but the house feels so empty with the absence of my little kitty.

It's so good to know that you all are out there, some people just don't understand how much a pet can mean, especially one that helped me through so much.

Here's Leda and Speck, Speck was the only creature Leda would defer to.

I miss my baby!

post-4774-1110135910_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2greygirls