Rusty Crossed The Bridge This Afternoon

Guest Yossarian

Guest Yossarian

Hi everyone, I haven't been postinf for a long time, lurking a lot, just didn't have a lot to say or offer to the board...

I supect there aren't many here still who remember me or my greys.

But my first dog, and my first Greyhound, left us today.

Sorry I have been a bit out of touch lately, life has been pretty busy and lots of ups and certainly some downs.

But, I guess there is no easy or good way to tell you that Rusty died today.

It was all over really fast. He'd actualy had a few little things going wrong for the past month or so, he had pancreatitis at thanksgiving, recovered. He had that strange limb swelling again 2 weeks ago, that went away, he had a hip sprain - we thought last week. Over the weekend he continued to get back to himself, full of energy and life. Sharon was sick witht the flu so we just hung around here a lot as it was a long weekend for both of us from work. This morning he got up like a firecracker,we went for a walk, he chased roscoe around gobbled up breakfast and then seemed to have hip relapase, but it got worse and worse with the pain. The vet called in a prescription for some opiates, but they had no effect, he was crying so badly and could not get comfortable. We took him to the vet at 1 pm and left him there to get looked at. They topped him up with morphine but it made no difference. We got there at 2:30 and he was just in agony, they think he had a massive stroke this morning and lodged a clot in his spine. His limbs were all cold and his tongue was dry and a bit blue. He recgonized Sharon and I and poor Rus just started to cry. We knew then that we had no choice, and helped him go.

It is all very wierd. I did promise him I wouldn't let him suffer if I could help it. I think he went just the he would have wanted to, didn't miss a meal or a poop, got a car ride and lots of treats and didn't suffer too much..

We really miss him, but when it's your time, it's time. He had a good life and you'd have never guessed he was 12 1/2.

Scott, Sharon, Boo & Roscoe, and last wags from Rusty.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest VaGreymom

I am so sorry for your loss. We have all had to put many a beloved member of our family down. It does not get any easier, only time will heal your pain. Remember you can get a lot of support from this site. :grouphug:f_red

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :( It's terribly heartbreaking when nothing will relieve their agony and suffering, except for that final gift of peace. May you remember Rusty as the loving, happy hound he was, and feel his loving spirit always. :beatheart I remember you, and am glad you posted. :grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm so sorry. :f_white

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

My deepest sympathy...Run to the Angels sweetheart. :f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so very sorry. Run free, Rusty. :grouphugf_yellow:gh_run

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest sestone

Just wanted to say again how sorry I am. When I got to meet you guys - it was so clear how much you loved him, and how much he loved you back.

I can't even imagine how hard today was on you. :(

Sending lots of good thoughts your way.

I'm so sorry but happy he had a good family for his forever home. No doubt he's running free and watched over by Saint Francis who loves greyhounds. Sam

Guest WuvMyIggy

You all were wonderful parents for Rusty. I am sure he was very grateful to you, for all of the wonderful times you shared, and for having the strength to relieve him from his pain. He was truely a lucky guy. Deepest sympathies.

I'm sorry for you Scott and your family!

Godspeed Rusty!