Charlotte

Guest JaVae

Guest JaVae

My friend lost her last beloved monkey over the weekend, thanks to meddling by stupid people, and I am so mad I could strangle someone. She and her husband had rescued a number of monkeys over the last 30 years, way before rules and regulations were in place to prevent people from buying one in a pet store in CA. Monkeys do not make good pets and were often abused or deserted once the novelty wore off. They took in abused, sick and injured monkeys that had been abandoned by their owners. During the 20 years I've known them, they had three left, capuchins, like the old organ grinder monkeys. Cornelius, the "little old man" monkey, died a couple years ago; he was nearly 30 years old. A little over a year ago, my friend lost her husband of to a brain tumor. She went into a deep depression and was still trying to recover from that when she lost Joy, another one of her monkeys,also nearly 30 years old. She had one monkey left, Charlotte, who she's had for over 20 years, a monkey that came to them with an injured arm from being beaten by her former owners. Even 20 years later, if you asked Charlotte how her arm was, she'd cradle it to her chest and make pitiful crying noises, trying to get sympathy. For over 20 years, this monkey has lived in peace and safety with my friends and received excellent care.

When the rules changed and permits from Fish & Game were needed, my friend's husband, stubborn in a lot of things, didn't apply, thinking no one would bother them. They were on a securely fenced acre in a remote area. It is now illegal to have a monkey in CA without permits, and almost impossible to get a permit unless you're a zoo or Michael Jackson. For over 20 years, my friends' monkeys were undetected and bothered no one. They were safe.

Last week an Edison employee, who came on the property to solve an electrical problem, took it upon himself to report Charlotte to Fish & Game. (Apparently Edison employees are spying on you while they are up on those power poles, like Big Brother, and snitch to the authorities when they see anything out of the ordinary.)

Inland Valley Humane Society, a fancy name for the local dog pound, came onto my friend's property while she was gone and confiscated Charlotte and also went through her house with a search warrant looking for other exotic animals. My friend came home to find official notices on her doors announcing that they had taken her monkey. This was last Thursday. On Friday they came out to talk to her and grilled her on what she knew about taking care of primates, how long she'd had Charlotte, etc. My friend was extremely worried about Charlotte, but they assured her she was fine and eating well and they had a "primate expert" taking care of her. The officers said they would get back to her on Monday.

Yesterday they came out to tell my friend that Charlotte had died. Apprently she had been so stressed she kept pacing back and forth, trying to find a way out of the cage they had placed her in, until her heart gave out. So much for she's fine and eating well. So much for their primate expert. So much for the humane society.

This sweet-faced old monkey, who never hurt or bothered anyone, who lived safely for over 20 years with my friends, was grabbed with a come-along by strangers, stuffed into a crate, transported to an animal shelter and spent two days in hell with the din of barking dogs and strangers surrounding her. Nothing was familar to her, her "mom," my friend, was not allowed to see her. And now she's dead. She died at the beginning of "Be Kind to Animals Week." Ain't that a kick. She died at the hands of authorities who didn't give a damn about the stress they were causing this animal. She died because of some Edison employee who thought it was his right to interfer with my friend's beloved Charlotte, a monkey who he wasn't even in contact with, who had not bothered him in the least. She died because of rules and regulations, without any thought to the animal or my friend's well-being or feelings. I don't know if my friend can recover from this. This may be the last straw, physically and emotionally.

Oh, yes. They said my friend could have Charlotte's body back if she wanted.

Charlotte will be buried back home, where she was safe and much loved.

This is so sad!!! Please convey my deepest sympathy to your friend.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest argolola

That breaks my heart. God bless your kind friends and may they find peace, knowing that Charlotte is roaming free at the Bridge.

Guest KaseysMom

I am so so sorry. :( Bear and Sarah: please comfort Charlotte at the Bridge.

:grouphug:f_white:f_pink:f_white:grouphug

Edited by Kasey's Mom

I'M SPEACHLESS!

THis needs to be told! Animal Planet.... somewhere it should be told! Poor poor Charlotte, how could they not have taken any of that into account@!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

This is just too sad. I am so sorry. :(:f_pink:f_white

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest KyGrey

Poor Charlotte and her poor mom! I also think someone should be told about this inhumane treatment of both Charlotte and her mom. Animal Planet was also my first thought. If anyone comes up with a way on how to go about this please post it. I think this is just horrible!!

Guest Fawn_Molly

Oh, that is just such a terrible story and what a horrible way for Charlotte to end her days after all those years of love and comfort. I had a huge lump in my throat after reading your post. Please send your friend my deepest sympathy. I cannot even begin to imagine what your friend must be going through.

That story just makes me sick. Gave me a great big lump in my throat and knot in my stomach. Unfortunately, I have heard stories like that before. I am so sorry for poor Charlotte and your friend. What an awful tragedy. f_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Jengonetothedogs

I think it'd be tough for a network like Animal Planet to show a story like this, since series like 'Animal Precinct' are so popular. Don't get me wrong...I'm an 'Animal Cops' [Detroit], Animal Precinct [NYC], Animal ..... addict. But perhaps a story like this should go to a media base that is more interested in personal or property rights? Not that Charlotte is property...just that media outlets that are focused on the overextensions of government might be better places to target. Any suggestions, anyone?

Guest eastcancoast

People need to mind their own business, what possible satisfaction did that Edison employee get from this? What were his thoughts when he left your friend's home that he felt he had to go report what he'd seen.

Damn him. :devil

Guest JaVae

The latest is that now the Inland Valley Humane Society won't release Charlotte's body to my friend. They claim they need to send the body off to do a necropsy (autopsy) on her, supposedly to find out why she died. I think they're just trying to cover their a$$es. Opinions from everyone we've talked to suggest my friend get an attorney, which she is now looking into.

We're also going to be contacting the local papers to see if a reporter would be interested in doing some investigative reporting on why this Edison employee took it upon himself to interfere and if this is Edison policy, why animal control didn't at least talk to my friend first or take into consideration the monkey's health and well-being before they terrorized her to death, why they tell my friend one thing and then go back on their word. If nothing else, I think this needs to be put in the public eye.

PS: This is the same animal shelter that WON'T release any dog to a "rescue group," because they claim that denies the general public a chance at adopting any of whatever specific breed. They ought to be forced to remove the word "humane" from their name!

That's really awful. Please pass my condolences to your friend :cry1

I hope Charlotte has been reunited with her Daddy at The Bridge.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Snowy8

I am so sorry for your friend. Bless her heart. But let her know she is blessed to have a friend like you that you would take the time to tell us about it. That is so endearing. Because we love our babies so much, we all know what she's going through. Give her our love & some big ole hugs from all of us.

Guest auntiesara

I'm heartbroken too. Please tell Charlotte's family that I hope they find comfort in the belief that we will be reunited.

Sara