Berdoc's Bubba

Pippin

damn...

just got home and checked phone messages. There was one from Dee. Sweet Bubba went to the bridge today (or yesterday?). He had some insurmountable health problems, and the only option left was to help him along. :(

When we pulled him from the montgomery shelter last Aug, he was skin and bones (15-20 lbs below his racing weight). I fostered him for a couple weeks, cause we were full up everywhere else (I'm the emergency foster home, I guess). Last October we had our greyhound gathering (reunion/m&g), and Bubba went home with a family who had adopted several other greys from us. They weren't looking for another grey, but she had said on the way in that if there was an older one that just needed some love and attention, they might chip. Then she met Bubba, and that's all there was to it.

He had six months with them... six months of being loved and cared for... six months to make up for however long he was running the streets of montgomery as a stray.

six months wasn't long enough for such a sweet boy. he deserved so much more than that.

This is him a couple days after we pulled him from the shelter....

medium.jpg

Five days later, he was already filling out...

medium.jpg

Angie & I fostered him for a wee bit...

medium.jpg

And this is him with his new family, right before they left our reunion...

medium.jpg

When I posted that pic in his gallery, I said that "we know John & Susan will make his remaining years happy ones..." I wish they could have, but at least they made his remaining *months* happy ones.

*sob*

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Guest Advocatus Diaboli

No matter how long you have with them, it would never be enough. The most important thing is that Bubba DID know love before he left. Bless you for your part in that.

Hugs to all of Bubba's skin- and furfriends, who made his last months warm and comfortable and full of all the good things a dog should have.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:(:(:( Godspeed Bubba. :f_red:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest MaxiesMom

How heartbreaking. I'm so glad Bubba finally got the love he deserved, I only wish it had been longer. I'm so sorry. please pass on to his family my condolences.

Another heartbreaker. :brokenheart:( My condolences to all who cared for this sweet old fella, and made his last few months so filled with love and the comforts of a true home. :bighug Godspeed, Bubba.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Godspeed, Bubba. I'm glad your final days were happy ones. f_yellow:grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest auntiesara

I'm so sorry for the loss of Bubba. At least he had a loving home in the end. Would his family want to look at all the nice messages from his cyber friends?

Sara

I was just thinking that same thing, and will be sending this link to Dee, so she can pass it on to them.

he's the only dog I ever fostered (and it was only for a few days, cause I'm not in a position to foster, right now). He was *such* a love-bug.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

I saw you at the shelter... thin and scared-looking, huddled next to the worker that you trusted.

He handed me your lead, and you walked with us to the lawn outside, but you were still trying to go back inside the building.

We got you into the van, and you settled on the mat with a sigh, resting your head on your legs as you watched us and the other grey, wondering what this next phase of your life would be.

I petted your rough coat, and you leaned into the caress.

You were sooo skinny, little guy, but so friendly, even after your life on the streets.

We called you Griffin, until we found out your real name was Bubba. Then we called you Bubba, cause it fit you. You were a "good ol' southern boy," and a joy to have around.

When you were at my house, I had to keep the food off the counters, because you would find it in a heartbeat. But you listened when I said "no," and you were a perfect gentleman when we went for walks. I rejoiced when you gained 6 lbs in your first week. You fit in perfectly with the other greys at Dee's house, and were always happy to see me when I'd come there to visit.

As your weight and health improved, so did your coat, and you became the gorgeous sleek-coated greyhound you were meant to be. And you found your forever folks... who met you and took you home the same day, and made sure you were never hungry or lonely again.

They loved you, Bubba, as much as you loved them, and they promised you they would always be there for you, to help you out.

And that's what they did for you today, my friend. You'd been in so much pain lately, and it wasn't going to get any better. So they helped you one last time, even though it broke their hearts.

It broke ours, too. We wanted you to have a lot more time to enjoy your new home, and to rejoice in being loved and cared for. But we don't always get what we want, and it was better for you this way, no matter how much it hurts us.

you're waiting at the bridge now, and the day will come when you'll all run together again, with no aches and pains, and no memories of the sorrow, only of the joy.

mabye I'll get to see you again then, too.

Guest jeasterling

First off, on behalf of Susan and Myself, thank you for all the kind words and support.

We went to the greytfriends reunion, everyone so happy except one Bubba. Here was an old spirit looking sad and lonely. With three dogs already, we wasn't really intending on expanding our family but we could NOT let him go. Little did we know.

We took him home, not knowing how the other two would take him in. Our other greyhound, Oba, instantly took him into the family. The femle pointer, Lexi, was a little excited but quickly warmed up to him. The third, a trying Jack Russel Terrorist, Reggie, was calm (at least for him).

As everyone adjusted to Bubba, we learned what a personallity he was! Never seen another dog back down Reggie and then all three of them curl up together... Quickly he was running the show... He had a sence of humor that was, interesting to say the least. Causing mischif, blaming the others then look all sad... Dragging around a dogbone almost as big as he was and knaw with the few teeth he had... Taking over our couch... Taunting Reggie or gloating when he got in trouble... Needless to say, he had completely won us over and was part of the family. The two greyhounds was often seen flanking anybody who got up to move or acting like bookends. They often herded us around the kitchen... True Love :wub:

On Valentines Day we pampered Oba and Bubba a little. We had them groomed and took them to an indoor horse arena where they could get out and strech there legs. They might been retired but they could still run, jump and play with the best of them. Everybody so very happy. That's how I will always remember him.

Run free and may all the days be happy...

:weep:weep:weep

Everybody so very happy. That's how I will always remember him.

Bless you for giving him that day, and all the others he spent in your care.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.