Incontinence, PROIN, and variation in "drippage"

Jupiter (6 years old) has incontinence characterized by dripping.  He's on PROIN.  During the day it's pretty much controlled but he leaks at night.  Here's my question:  When I check his belly band and pad in the morning, he'll have a week where he's nearly dry and then a week or so, where the pad is soaked.  Does anyone else experience this variation?  I suppose it's just the normal fluctuations in our week where some days are busier than others probably affecting his water intake.  I thought I'd ask anyway.

A picture of Jupiter (HOGS Steely McB) with his favorite toy.

417001650_10161535651983910_7436106890495533033_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=pwHWLF9gxZYQ7kNvgEEncm7&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=00_AfDdxK5dMdt9FDF9dQEt2dyZzyvX8uP4stZySwY8FieDVQ&oe=66411A51

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Some variation is probably to be expected since it works by constriciting blood vessels to increase muscle tone in the urinary sphincter.   It also increases blood pressure when the blood vessels are made smaller.  So things like diet and exercise may be having an effect on how well it works day to day.  

It used to be used quite a bit in human cough syrups and allergy meds to control coughing due to congestion, though it was discontinued due to the threat of stroke.  Greyhounds are prone to this side effect with Proin so you should monitor him closely.  Personally, since it's not working completely anyway, I'd ask if there is another option for him to try, or a different reason for his diagnosis (low sphincter tone, presumably).

:kiss2  

• Like 1

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Elizabeth, Ivy has been on Proin for several years and it has always worked beautifully.   But when she was put on Librela, she sometimes had that same variation with nighttime incontinence shortly after each Librela dose, decreasing throughout the month until the next dose of Librela.    Although this last month it didn't happen at all.   Is Jupiter on another medication that may affect him this way too?

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

46 minutes ago, Potomacpupsmom said:

Elizabeth, Ivy has been on Proin for several years and it has always worked beautifully.   But when she was put on Librela, she sometimes had that same variation with nighttime incontinence shortly after each Librela dose, decreasing throughout the month until the next dose of Librela.    Although this last month it didn't happen at all.   Is Jupiter on another medication that may affect him this way too?

Not a thing.  His physical health is excellent with the exception of whining randomly when you touch his left ear.  (His mental health as you know is pure PITA. ;) )

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound