A Stroll Down Memory Lane w/ Soulmate SLIM

racindog

slimnowstarring.jpg

Slim I went down memory lane this year wondering what my theme would be this time. I looked at your pictures and pictures and pictures. I read about your exploits. And then it became obvious that a good topic would be your incredible power, versatility and most of all love.

You were and could do everything.  I have pictures to prove it! You were a teacher-taught me things I couldn’t even imagine -many of them from the other side.  You are and always have been your family’s protector.  How you would go to the elevated portion of the yard and lay there watching and guarding your family.  How you were always looking out the windows. How on at least 2 different occasions you drove off evil ones trying to break in while I was at work.  Oh yes, I have pictures of the blood and destruction from that one. But the other hound Goldie was safe(hiding in a bedroom) and you allowed no property to be taken.  I can never forget the day you alerted and jumped to intercept and engage with a huge St. Bernard that weighed twice what you did when it locked on me, growled, and raced to attack me. You never hesitated. You are my St. Guinefort.

Pics of US- our love -the special bond we shared -that words are inadequate to describe. We were NEVER apart-not one single night. I take comfort in that since you had to leave so early.  I am now always aware of how priceless together time is.

Intelligence-oh yes! You are a smart cookie.

You “sitting” on the sofa like a human does.

You when you arrived- you were 47 lbs and should have been around 75. You were so weak you stood around with your head down. You were laying on the living room floor when a strange young male (to you) come zooming into the room and you jumped up and charged toward him.  THAT’S how protective you were of YOUR family.  Even in that condition your first thought was your- family of 1 days- protection. You didn't even know us yet but you knew we offered you love -and food!-something you had not had the entire 10 months of your life previously. In fact you had been taken to a vet for euthanasia but the vet called USA DefendersOfGreyhounds instead. Turns out that that young male was family you just hadn’t met yet and you became good friends with each other.  I was only supposed to be transporting you. But I knew immediately that you were going to stay-forever.

Playing ball.

Pictures of the many greyhound festivities we participated in.

Pictures of you doing detection work even. Some things like that could only be explained by your life before we met. You kept most of that from me but I did find out that your name then was ‘Ruthless’. You were all about protecting people. You just wanted everybody to be safe.  And when a bad person (dogs’ know!) crossed your path you tried to take them out unapologetically. Hence you had a ‘reputation’. 

And then there were people on bicycles.  You just plain didn’t like them 😊 and considered them fitting prey.  

Sparring with me.  How I loved how we could spar/fight – I was training for my black belt at the time and you helped me! We will always be “2 peas in a pod.”

You know me better than I know myself.

This years remembrance doesn’t seem to be as “organized” as the previous years but it actually is.  The power, the emotions could not be deeper. And most importantly Slim THANK YOU FOR ALWAYS REMEMBERING ME!!!!!”  You send me all kinds of signs when I need them and still take the best care of me. I know you will always be there for me as I will be for you. ALWAYS my love!!!!

Edited by racindog
pic

It's amazing how they grip our hearts and still hold on tightly over the years.  :beatheart

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

macoduck you know you are right. I like this verse about it:

"For love is as strong as death....
Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.
If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised."

-Song of Solomon 8:6-7

Edited by racindog