PRA/blindness and aggression

I’ve been here before asking for help and advice re my blind hound, and here I am again. Dune has PRA and we have been managing but as his vision has worsened, and at this point he sees very little, he has become more aggressive/protective. Understandable I guess because he can’t read doggy body language. Very people friendly, not so dog friendly. Here is the current issue. 

He is only 4.5 yrs and needs and loves his walks. But, if we encounter a dog who basically makes any noise - a bark, an excited whine, anything - Dune gets very reactive and aggressive. Two days ago I had crossed the street when I saw a dog approaching, as I always do, but that dog was whining, pulling on his leash, and making a fuss. Anyway, Dune started snarling and biting and almost got my other hound so I stepped in the middle to protect her and I got bitten. Luckily I had on sweatpants (I know, it’s cool here where I am still!) so I have a huge deep bruise on my thigh but just a scratch from his teeth, no puncture wounds. I have always said to him “You’re safe, I’ve got you.” So, while maybe he doesn’t see me as a strong pack leader, I’m not a novice to dogs nor greyhounds. I’ll take the blame if necessary, yet I think he is feeling the need to protect himself against an unseen/unreadable potential threat. I tell people to talk to him so he knows where they are, and he has not met a person he doesn’t adore. But dogs are different. 

I am looking for any suggestions - training thoughts, medication suggestions, anything. He is aggressive if disturbed when sleeping but I have that worked out. The only solution I see to my current problem is to walk him in a muzzle. I need to protect my other hound and myself if he lashes out. I can handle him physically and hang onto him as he loses his mind, but I can’t control the fear and barking and biting. Thanks in advance. 

My 6 y/o, Nate has PRA and is now pretty much sightless.  His snarling and growling is focused on protecting his space in the house, so I've not dealt with the leash reactivity you face with your boy.  I'd suggest searching this thread for the many great posts on managing reactive dogs.  I think the approaches would be the same for dogs with and without sight.

I'll also mention that I got a great deal of help with Nate from Behave Atlanta . These ladies worked well with me via zoom.  One is a trainer and one is a behaviorist.  I noted when getting the link that they've got a waiting list this summer, unfortunately.  However, they are a terrific resource that approached Nate's issues with intelligence, insight, and a gentle, positive philosophy.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Thanks for the referral. I think you gave it to me before but I solved that issue and forgot about it. 🤦‍♀️ We went on a walk in a muzzle. He was trying to rub it off and paw it off initially, but gave up fairly quickly and got with the walk. Of course we didn’t need the muzzle today, but I felt safer. 

I'd say keep walking with the muzzle on. My boy G has pain issues surrounding his feet and legs, and his brother Roman tries to be the big dog. It's been a hard lesson to learn, and I'd rather have a stress free walk where I don't have to worry about being bitten because G got a sweet-gum ball in his foor (again) and R saw another dog he can't get to.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Thanks for the agreement with re to the muzzle. I was rather nervous to walk him yesterday, but tried to curb that so he didn’t pick up my discomfort. I hate to do it to him but just can’t control all the outside situations. And it may give other dog owners a visual cue to stay away. 😁 

:nod

Plus, muzzles are really not a punishment.  They are a tool. They aren't painful and most US greyhounds are very used to them.  I've had stool eating hounds who wore muzzles with stool guards for their fun and games and potty trips in the back yard to stop the stool eating. 

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

My boy is now completely blind from PRA.  Although I'm not dealing with the reactivity as you are with your boy, I've had some issues with him.  I don't know if you are on facebook, but there is a blind dogs group on facebook that has been SO helpful to me.  Many of the people there are experienced and they are all very supportive and helpful.  I realize not everyone is on facebook, but if you are you may want to join. If you search "blind dogs" it will come up.  In any event, good luck with Dune.  He's lucky to have you.