Freezing/Stubborn Walker

Hi Friends!

My girl grey Ollie goes in and out of phases of being verryyy stubborn on her walks. She gets fixated with things, right now, it's my car. I park on the same street each morning, she tugs me down that street, sniffs every car along the way, and stops dead in her tracks when she finds my car. She refuses to move, continue walking etc. after she's found it. She goes completely frozen. Not even treats will get her to budge (unless it's a piece of steak, had to resort to that). Even if I move my car to another street, she'll still tug me down the street to try to find it.

Although it is very adorable that she loves my car + car rides so much, I'm wondering if there's a fix to this so I don't have to bring chunks of steak on my walk each time:P Appreciate any advice/insight! 

How long have you had her?  The freezing is very common with new greyhounds.  It happens when they get overwhelmed with sights and sounds.  She may see the car as here safe place to escape the scary new world.  If she is new maybe just have her hang out in her yard to get used to the new sights and sounds for awhile they do grow out of it.

Edited by 1Moregrey
Typo

Stop letting her dictate where you go. 

Walk quickly, with purpose, out the door and down the street the other way.  Keep her close to you and a firm hand on the leash, and moving right along - walk with purpose.  If she starts to hesitate or try to head in a different direction, give the leash a shake, and tell her to "come on girl!!" in a happy voice.  Once she's moving along with you again, give her a (normal) treat and continue.  Keep encouraging her to keep up with you as you go along a way you've mapped out in advance, so you don't have to stop and think about which way to go (preferably a way that does NOT go by your car at all).  

If you want/need to give her time to potty or sniff, wait until you're outside of your familiar neighborhood area.  Set a goal of getting her to a spot and then let her have her head and freedom to go where she wants.  As long as it's not back towards the car!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have no advice, but what a smart girl to find her car!  I bet she'd excel in a nosework class.  And she could go there in her beloved car. :P

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).