Question about female in heat

I have a female 18 mo who is AKC so she is not spayed. She has come into heat for the first time and I am having trouble with diapers. They don’t fit well. LOL. I have no experience with this as my other greys have been racers. I know that my male had a hand made belly band. Anything like that for females?  

Yes, they’re called “Bitches britches” .   You can find them online (Amazon, chewy, etc.) and in pet stores.  They’re usually reusable/washable and some people line them with a pantie liner or pad and change that as needed.   I personally don't prefer the liner/pad idea because I worried my girl would eat it and end up with an obstruction.   

There are also simple homemade ideas online. 

Some ladies, like mine, do a really good job keeping themselves very clean and all you need is a fresh towel on their bed/resting spot/crate and some enzymatic cleaner for the floors.  Obviously this is easier if you don’t have carpet.  Some don’t like the panties and this is what you end up doing anyway.  

Edited by Shannon

Are you using baby diapers or doggies diapers??  Make sure you measure correctly.

Something like this that's adjustable should work.   Washable dog diapers

Huh.  I apparently forgot to hit Reply to this yesterday.  :dunno 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

i'm chiming in a little late, she is already clear but will start to stain again. i found that diapers were o.k. during the evening while we were watching tv but the whippets ripped them off! no matter what i purchased, they hated them. disposable were a joke, the $$$ fabric were a bigger joke. 

hydrogen peroxide clean up blood on fabric. generally my dogs clean themselves well and only pool after lying down for a period of time.  the most comfortable diapers for from Phresh Pet that i found at Petco. They have more elastic and give.

Remember your dog's stain will be clear generally from day 11-17 and then they start staining w/ a bloody discharge. the entire cycle can last from 4-5 weeks. one of my girls has a 5+week cycle. she will be spay this summer. spaying is best done 3 months after the cycle is completed, all the blood vessels return to normal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 1:08 PM, CeeEs said:

Replying late because her cycle ended but I will get those washable diapers. They look to fit better. Thanks!

how much does she weigh? i have some that i'll sell cheap from my whippet who will be spay soon.