Complications after amputation

DawnO

Freaky had her front leg amputated at Auburn this past Tuesday. She was up walking that night. Next morning she had blood oozing out of wound area so they went back. They did not see any vessels bleeding but she had a large pocket of blood located above the wound. Said she tore a muscle. After that she could no longer stand up. And she developed a heart arrhythmia. Neurologist said it was something between the nerves and the muscle but they have no idea what is causing it. Yesterday she started eating good and was in good spirits, still could not stand. 

I drove up this morning to see and talk to doctors. Apparently she became agitated yesterday trying to get up. They gave a mild sedative. This morning she is labor breathing. X-ray is clear. They are starting her on a nebulizer just in case.

I am heartbroken and at a lost of what to do. I was ready to take her home if she was stable and just couldn’t walk.

I'm so sorry.  Please get in touch immediately with greyhound expert Dr Guillermo Couto.  An online consult costs $150, I think, but well worth it.  He can give you an idea of what's going on and treatment going forward.

In the meantime, definitely make sure where she is has her on Aminocarproeic acid or tranexamic acid for her post op bleeding.

Dr Couto consultation information

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sorry to see you are dealing with this.  I will second the suggestion of Dr. Cuoto above if you think that you need a second opinion. He ran the Greyhound Medical Program at Ohio State for years and will work directly with the vets treating your hound. The first week after an amp can be rough for all, so your pup is in the right place if there are complications. 

Paws crossed here for your pup. Please keep us updated. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life