Greyhound Aggression Going Outside

This is my greyhound’s 5th day off the track. He is showing aggression toward other rescued greys in the house (these greys have been retired home pups for a few years now) when getting out the door for his walks. Doesn’t show aggression on walks. Can this behavior be trained out of? Is squirt bottle training okay to use in this case? I assume it’s because he’s used to racing and running out the door. Wondering if anyone has experience with this behavior 

In what was is he being aggressive?  It may be the over excitement of getting used to his new surroundings.

I'd suggest walking him separate from your other greys for a while as the "new" wears off.

Has he been neutured yet?

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Is it just when the new lad goes out the door? Is he simply "grumbling" without showing teeth or snapping at the other dogs? Some of mine did that and it was just talking, nothing ever escalated beyond it. 

I think we need more information about the "aggression" being displayed. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Probably not aggression.  Some greyhounds are just very competitive when it comes to who gets there (anywhere) first.  And if you're opening the door for a free-for-all exit, your new boy is probably wanting to go out before everyone else.  Especially if he's already excited to go for a w-a-l-k.

The easiest way to cool things down is to control - *you* control - access to and through the door.  Start teaching everyone a "wait" command, even before the door opens, and a release command, when you want them to exit calmly.  If you have more than one dog, do this individually at first, and then as a group.  This is useful in multiple applications besides the door - crosswalks, random stairs and doorways, waiting for their food - any time you need them to wait quietly for your release for their (and your) comfort and safety.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

On 12/27/2022 at 3:28 AM, macoduck said:

In what was is he being aggressive?  It may be the over excitement of getting used to his new surroundings.

I'd suggest walking him separate from your other greys for a while as the "new" wears off.

Has he been neutured yet?

He hasn’t been neutered yet. And yep, I think you’re right. He was tugging extremely hard and grumbling/whining a bit, not showing any teeth no growling or barking so I may have misused the word aggressive there! He’s now being trained as an only dog in a house solo, so taking him on solo walks has helped a ton. Thanks for your advice!