Newly adopted Greyhound Play or aggression?

We’ve had our greyhound for only a few weeks and I want to get ahead on the behaviour side of things. 

we have two whippets who all get along and have shown no aggression towards each other. We made sure if this pre adoption by taking a whippets to visit our grey.

When they are all playing our grey is now joining in, play bow and tail wag but has started necking and I think it’s just too much for the other whippets. As soon as I tell him to stop he absolutely does and I usually give him a toy to play with as a distraction. He mouths at their legs and it isn’t hard but the other whippets seem a bit overwhelmed by it. 

Any advice greatly received 

Sounds like play to me,  they need to learn a level and style that works for all of them.  A few weeks is so early to figure out style of play.  Teach they greyhound too play easy or nice.  Do the whippets let the GH know it is to much play for them.  What are the ages.

You could try play one to one and see if it is more appropriate.  The GH may just be overstimulated and not realizing it is not appropriate.  I have had to teach a young GH how to play with a kitten.  Started by they were only allowed to play when he was laying down and no paws on the kitten.   The GH was there first so he was trained which made it easier.  Just monitor them closely and encourage easy play and stop it if it gets to rough.  You can always use a muzzle if you are concerned about teeth damage.  I am sure with some guidance from you and if the whippets tell the GH off a time or two they will learn to play together.

I am sure other GH/whippet people will have good advice to share.

The play behavior of greyhounds is normally *quite* robust.  It sounds like WWIII in my yard when they get going.  Running is absolutely silent, but all wrestling and physical play is LOUD and violent.  If your grey will stop when the whippets tell him to, that's a good sign he's understanding their communication and will limit his actions accordingly.

Put muzzles on everyone for their safety and let them play!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yes, muzzles for everyone, it doesn't take much to hook a tooth wrong, and then you get a big vet bill. (ask me how I know :()

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

My German Shepard does this to the Greyhound.  Necking,  biting at her skinny long legs.  Its all play but if it starts to escalate one "knock it off" and it stops.  I'd be a little worried with whippets of skin tears and such.