Sitting on own tail causing damage?

Hi Greytalkers!

Our boy (Nugget) loves to sit on the floor whenever he has the opportunity. His back legs often rest on top of his tail, which seems to be causing rubbing.

We're fairly used to him "sitting himself bald", but I've noticed on his tail he's made a mark that looks fairly sore.

Here is a photo (warning: baldy grey butt🤣) https://imgur.com/a/H48QSHy

Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks, Dillon

It's hard to tell from your photo, but is the spot several inches down from the base of his tail? Is it missing hair?  If so, that's most likely on "stud tail" and is no big deal. No treatment needed.

Unless there's a foul odor and a visible infection, you don't need to do anything. Many of my 14 greyhounds have had this and only had some missing hair in that location.

https://spoiledhounds.com/stud-tail-bald-spot-on-dog-tail/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

And, despite the name, stud tail isn't gender-related. My girl has it, my boy does not.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Stud tail.  There's a gland located there on all dogs tails.  Sometimes it loses hair and sometimes it doesn't.  My girl had a patch about 6 inches long that always looked dirty and sparse.  Gentle weekly bathing *may* help, but most likely not.  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guinness has stud tail but interestingly the vet said as he's been castrated a couple of months ago it should improve. Wiping with a soft cloth has helped too.

Grace also has hair missing from a similar area of her tail but according to the vet that could be where she folds it under herself when laying down and the stiff hairs are getting broken. Spraying with a de-tangle spray used by dog groomers helps by softening the hairs although Grace gives me some funny looks when I creep up behind her and spray her  :blink:

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time