New NSAID approved by FDA - Firox

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This is good news! We had Buddy on a lower than prescribed dose of loxicom while we were on holiday recently as he has been limping on and off and we knew we’d be doing a bit of walking, but by the end of the week he had blood in his stools. This is the first time this has happened so I’m very wary of using them again but I can discuss this with the vet as an alternative.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

5 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

This is good news! We had Buddy on a lower than prescribed dose of loxicom while we were on holiday recently as he has been limping on and off and we knew we’d be doing a bit of walking, but by the end of the week he had blood in his stools. This is the first time this has happened so I’m very wary of using them again but I can discuss this with the vet as an alternative.

Galliprant is also supposed to have fewer gastro side effects, though I'm not sure if tha't the case in "real world" use.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

5 hours ago, greysmom said:

Galliprant is also supposed to have fewer gastro side effects, though I'm not sure if tha't the case in "real world" use.

Thank you. I can never remember the names of drugs (this applies to human drugs too) but there are three in this thread that I can ask about as alternatives to loxicom/metacam

Ha!  Four.  There's also a liquid version of Meloxicam, if you don't want to switch him off this particular drug.  I have to use it with one of my girls because she doesn't fit into a normal dosing range for pills/half pills.  It's also a lot easier on her stomach.

He uses the liquid form of loxicom, which I’m grateful for now if it is easier on the stomach. He seems to limp more when he has really wild zoomies, which have become noticeably less frequent over the past six months :( so hopefully I won’t have to use anything, and if we do, hopefully not for long spells of time. Thanks for the info

On 3/31/2022 at 7:53 PM, greysmom said:

I've never heard anything to the contrary from the vets we've discussed it with including orthos and neuros). Both Violet and Skye have take it without issue, fwiw. 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."