Possible toe amputation

Hello all.. so my greyhound, Tony, has had a corn on one of his middle toes on the front paw. We went ahead and did the tendon surgery and he was good for a couple of months, but started limping again. I managed to remove the corn the other day, but he’s still limping and now has some kind of hard pink area on the side of the paw pad. I’ve seen two surgeons and both have said to just amputate the toe. Do dogs do ok with a middle digit amputation on the front leg? The dr said he might have a slight limp from it but it wouldn’t be from pain, just because it was a weight bearing toe. I just want him to go back to normal. I’m tired of him being in pain because of this toe. 

Tony should do just fine without that toe. Just be sure the docs take it high enough that the remaining stump doesn't touch the ground as that would be very painful. My senior Aiden does well despite missing a lateral toe from one front foot and a middle digit from the other, there are some threads here and elsewhere in H&M about his issues. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

44 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Tony should do just fine without that toe. Just be sure the docs take it high enough that the remaining stump doesn't touch the ground as that would be very painful. My senior Aiden does well despite missing a lateral toe from one front foot and a middle digit from the other, there are some threads here and elsewhere in H&M about his issues. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Yeah the dr said he would take the entire thing for that reason. Does your dog limp at all? 

Aiden does have a gimp but he also has other issues. There was an adjustment period after his amps but he did well. Hope this helps. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Wiki is missing an outside back toe, so a little different, but it's on a leg with a plate from a break and it doesn't slow her down at all. She's fast! And would go for walks all day, jumps like a kangaroo, and has no problem with me handling that foot. 

Your guy will be just fine!

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Adding another success story -- one of my hounds came to me with a missing inside toe on a back paw; never knew the story.  No limp, no other problems from it.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter