New food, new pooping habits

We moved onto Burns Pork and Potato, which seems to be going down really really well. Poop warning:

His poop is now much firmer, a little lighter in colour, and hardly smells at all especially compared to what he used to do. We've now moved over fully to this new food, and he's started to poop way less which is awesome. Recently though his schedule has been weird.

For example, he poops in the morning after breakfast, on the walk, and typically again after dinner on our second walk. Basically 3 or 4 per day. Now he does one in the morning, one on the morning walk, and that's it for the day. Yesterday he just did the two and I felt he needed to go again so I waited outside with him for 15 minutes in the evening and he did a poop.

Is he congested at all, or does he simply need to poop less now? Should I just give him chances during the day as normal?

If he's pooping daily he's probably not congested.

Grace poops twice close together on her early morning walk and sometimes a small squidgy third one depending on how long the walk is. She doesn't poop again that day.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Buddy is a poop machine. He will usually go twice on his morning walk, two or three times in the afternoon and then we take him out before bed and he does another. We do give him Olewo carrots, and the fibre will add bulk to his stool, but we reduced the amount we give him and this amount of poop is still pretty normal for him. Just like people, they have their own  pattern!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

• 3 weeks later...

grain free? have you read any of the articles on DCM? what's wrong with grains? 

do yourself a favor and research DCM here is a quick link. become educated before your dog is affected. one of my dog's littermate just passed at 4 yrs of age- grain free diet, DCM. 

https://todaysveterinarypractice.com/study-grain-free-diet-for-dogs-leads-to-canine-heart-disease/

if you are looking for a food that is well metabolized try Purina Pro Plan Focus or Purina One or any moderate protein/fat level foods available in your area. Rocket fuel and exotic ingredients are not necessary to maintain a healthy dog.

Edited by cleptogrey