healthy training treats suggestions?

mikefc

My girls are both 9 y.o. now.  A couple of months ago they both had a thorough dental and lost a few teeth. Unlike before the dental, I'm now bothered by how the Milk Bone Mini's stick to their teeth when I'm brushing. We use the Mini's ( often broken in half ) to reinforce good behavior during the day.  I'd like to switch to something healthier now. I tried carrots and got a big "no thank you" from both girls.  So I'm wondering what treats have people had good luck with.  Anything approaching a meat smell and flavor is a big hit around here.   

Do you have bite size shredded wheat in the States? No fat, no salt, no sugar. My boy loves them as a bit of a change, although clearly they are not very meaty! He also loves Rublies by Olewo. They are a carrot and beetroot pellet, so again, not very meaty

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Grace loves small pieces of strong cheddar cheese.

I also give her the frozen pickings from a cooked chicken which I freeze in small pieces in a single layer on a tray before putting them in a tub.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 2 weeks later...

I think sometimes you have to give in to the smelly, meaty treats, despite being unhealthy. I saw an interesting video that said as far as the dog is concerned, licking or even just smelling the treat activates the happy place in the brain, so as far as they're concerned, it has the same effect as eating a whole load of the treat. Because of that, I always keep my training reward size very small (eg. breaking a small dog treat into a quarter of its original size, maybe like 1cm squared or smaller), but it allows me to use whatever I or the dog prefers, because I know I'm not giving him enough to make it "bad" for him.

Of course this is made MUCH more difficult living with my mum who constantly spoils him. -___- You may have better luck! :lol