Mixed Feeding (Raw and Dry)

Eugene

Hi all, I'm currently doing some morning meals for my grey using chicken carcass and raw tripe. Dinner would usually be kibble and some soft food.

I went to visit my local raw food supplier for pets and they have recommended that if i fed a raw diet, i should make it completely raw and i should not mix it this way.

They've advised that this is due to the gastric acidity as raw stimulates strong gastric acidity while processed/dry are not good acidity stimulators.

Is this true or is this all about marketing their products?

I understand that raw and dry should not be mixed together at the same time however I'm doing raw in the mornings then dry in the evenings.

My plan for raw is either one of these - chicken frames, veal bones, veal brisket. Always with some raw tripe.

Would really like to hear from your experience and what some recommendations are.

Thanks so much!

I am not sure where the “don’t mix raw and kibble” came from, but the diet most trainers feed at the track is some mix of raw meat, cooked veggies, and kibble. I have never had a problem mixing kibble and ground raw. That said, I would probably not mix RMBs (raw meaty bones) and kibble in the same meal.

Edited by Remolacha

I have fed a raw-kibble diet for years. 

My guys are healthy, weight is fantastic  and they have amazing poop!

I am lucky to have a local raw food business in my Village. It is a mix of beef, chicken, fish, eggs including bone and tripe. It is ground up quite fine..like hamburger.. And frozen into 40 pound blocks. Then they cut it on a band saw into whatever size pieces you need.

I get 1 pound pieces and this is their breakfast. They eat a generous cup of Kirkland Lamb & Rice for dinner.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

On 11/8/2019 at 6:18 PM, Remolacha said:

I am not sure where the “don’t mix raw and kibble” came from, but the diet most trainers feed at the track is some mix of raw meat, cooked veggies, and kibble. I have never had a problem mixing kibble and ground raw. That said, I would probably not mix RMBs (raw meaty bones) and kibble in the same meal.

Thanks Remolacha, I recently had a chat with a lady customer at a raw food supplier on the weekend and she's going on a mix feed too so looks like it won't be a problem :)

1 hour ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

I have fed a raw-kibble diet for years. 

My guys are healthy, weight is fantastic  and they have amazing poop!

I am lucky to have a local raw food business in my Village. It is a mix of beef, chicken, fish, eggs including bone and tripe. It is ground up quite fine..like hamburger.. And frozen into 40 pound blocks. Then they cut it on a band saw into whatever size pieces you need.

I get 1 pound pieces and this is their breakfast. They eat a generous cup of Kirkland Lamb & Rice for dinner.

Thanks BatterseaBrindl for this. We've found a raw food supplier at our place and yes they freeze them in blocks of 80 to 100g and it comes in a variety of meat plus green tripe and sometimes crushed bones in it. 

We've decided that we'll do a plan similar to yours - raw in the morning of approx 350g and followed by the evening meal of Coprice kibble with a mix of some houndlog. 

It's the first time we're using the raw blocks this week as the only time we fed our grey raw was in some mornings with either a chicken frame or veal bone. Kibble was still being fed in the evenings that time and the poop was firm and small. When we switched back to kibble for the whole day (after 5 days of raw feed in the morning) his poop later in the day ended up like pumpkin mash. Back to raw in the mornings and that firmed things up :)

• 1 month later...

I was a mostly kibble feeder with occasional raw for years.  Raw 100% didn't fit into our lifestyle, but I liked to give a bit of it when I could.  No issues.  Raw might be 2-4 meals per week, more in the summer because I preferred to feed raw outdoors.  If the raw was sparse, like a chicken bone from a meal I was preparing, I'd give kibble not long after, with no ill effects.   If raw was a true meaty meal, I'd feed kibble the next meal, no issues.  If there was a fabulous sale, more meaty meals than normal.  It was a very mixed bag over the years.  

I didn't have a schedule for it, the dogs always ate their kibble and relished the times they got raw.  I'm certainly NO expert on the topic, just speaking from personal experience.