Alone training for spaces outside the house

Hi everybody! 

We adopted our beautiful Josie about 5 months ago. She was a very shy and fearful dog when we got her,  but she has made great strides in a short time. These days she is perfectly fine (if a little bored) being left alone in our house for an entire workday with a turn-out at lunch time. We don't crate her when we leave, because she seemed much more anxious crated than when left to roam as she pleased.

Here's our remaining issue: my husband and I both take her to work about once a week. She gets really anxious if we leave her in either of our offices, even for just a minute to use the restroom. She cries and makes loud puppy barks. Both of our co-workers have great patience and haven't complained yet, but I don't want to mess up a good thing.

Does anybody have any tips that we might try? I've even come in on the weekend to try to do some alone-training when my coworkers aren't present. Nothing has stuck so far.

Thanks in advance!

You can try giving her a Kong or a chewing treat when you need to leave the office.  Or ask a colleague to step in to keep her company.  Or take her along to the bathroom!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Is there a phrase or something that you do at home on a regular day that signals to her that you are leaving? In our house we always say "see you later, dude" as we're walking out the door. If she can connect a signal you give at home - when she's ok being alone - to the same thing when you're at work she might get the message that "oh, ok, they're coming back just like all the other times"

I agree with greysmom and Bizeebee. I give Grace a chew or her Kong when I'm going to leave her and say "See you later" as I walk out of the door. It lets her know that I know I've left her but I'm coming back.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time