She Pees Her Bed

We have 3-year-old staghound littermates Kaja and Potter.  Their background is that they were bred and raised by a coyote hunter; they lived in outdoor runs with dog houses, with their parents and brother.  Last fall they and their brother were put up for free on a Craigslist-type publication when the owner realized they were poor hunters.   A local greyhound rescue scooped them up.  They went to an emergency foster for a couple months--they were quite underweight--then to the rescue kennel.  We got Kaja in early March, then Potter in July (she was a bounce).  Kaja is the one I'm writing about.  She housebroke easily--in fact, after a couple of first-day accidents she's been perfect (I suspect most of the housebreaking took place at the emergency foster) and has a bladder of steel.  But...every so often--she's done it maybe 6-7 times in the almost 7 months we've had her--she pees the bed (her dog bed and, just now,  a couch.)  The last time she did it was in July, so there's usually at least a month between incidents (so I don't think it's medical).  I've actually seen her do it once--she'll be doing what we call "DiggyDiggyWump", where she digs and circles on her bed and then curls into a ball and flumps down...except instead of curling into a ball she squats and pees!  I don't know what she would do after she pees because the one time I saw her I of course interrupted her and took her outside.  It almost seems like a brain fart--or perhaps, brain pee--like she just forgets what she's doing.  As I said, she's otherwise perfectly housebroken.  It doesn't have anything to do with her sister's arrival, because all but 2 of her incidents occurred before Potter got here.

I'm not sure if there's anything to be done--I really can't ban her from dog beds and couches, there's not enough x-pens in the world, and then I'd also be blocking Potter, who is innocent (although she has her own infrequent potty issues related to "I already have soft poo today and now I just heard thunder.")  I've only caught her in the act once; I suspect it mostly happens overnight.  If anyone has an idea I'd love to hear it, but I'd also like to know if anyone else's hounds does this.  We've got good couch covers and washable beds and it's pretty infrequent so we just deal with it,  but bed-peeing will make Kaja very unattractive to potential dog-sitters next summer (the ones we know all take the dogs to their own homes).

Here's the culprit in drier times (that's my mom's little dogs' bed; trust me, her own beds are the right size!)

wZiyOPQa4efSpIoVKcJwxhtChKTxZZpZssdwT6_VsVsuiMHbJ_IFpigA5WduQhvXsRrF4o42BQoYgVSJE5CRYREYDgJMdX8wSmyuxYCZV_BjFjE93Q1jRLb9Jfyw50oU-bgVeCgze-afqzE3t88JJ0zVB8NOzcE5SfDbxesO1tGon6paeuOCmm3snltYPRGW7fY3wIjYbSTmG4nPdyEoe-TZT4FwHnl16Ho-6DxQ0HgytYP3MtBMafAsVQmTu9NchpAuf47Men2AK9_gp55jqc1FETiMXHxbqWGzj74xrbkUPUxJocmniwwBoxsFBTBIouvx2eSqq1yh66gP6T14Cfb_gPzUphpaegcYZ_FR1mMD8e2DDlCWlAh3ysBe1VHerpLkAK01xDBmvwlAaDEseuVHqlW-1L97gLWRsBKiB1OszzqXqpF_4lLTgdt2BhlA5Mc3-jZqQ9O_g8t2FpN7QlKoNZyY-gG9JwYNaZzDynzJx-X4H7BpbYhGZKneDKY6m5qxnHvf73HDT-Hra9RbylsjCq2wJdkXclwlwdYVLE0_Z7jk8w9BvOLNVKdgnNlHQEuG9PbTrJgW2PbsauW4b0EW4vltG_0KWCcGWvpMROInjINuYlXDT7Km72NZWO9dKl753ZSOSUaZzhiNQ7ONRE5ocQNM2CD_RdFb7ouVIC_M96KeE-RjjtU=w499-h665-no 

I'd be chatting with your Vet about this.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Grace has peed her bed but only a couple of times and that was when she was alone and I think she was frightened by outside noises. 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 4 months later...