Not a Hound- Torn ACL

My neighbor’s lab was diagnosed with a torn ACL today.  He’s on heavy duty pain meds until his Mom schedules an appointment for surgery.  His Mom travels a lot with her daughter for softball tournaments so I help take of him when she is out of town.  What happens during the surgery and what  can I expect in terms of recovery other than leash walks only?  

Thanks in advance.  

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

my neighbor's dog had surgery on a torn ACL. no steps, minimal walking since he wouldn't use pee pads, lots of rest and pain meds. he finally was able to walk it around the corner to potty- a total of one block around a month after the surgery. this is a young flat coated retriever. he's doing fine now, 6 months later. there was one set back around month 3 or so. he's a pretty active dog.

Leash walks, only as long as needed to P&P.  No jumping.  If the dog is allowed on furniture, take the cushions off so he can just step up. No stairs.  No pulling or lunging on leash. No running. Keep on top of pain meds.  My daughter bought her dog a couple of brainwork toys to keep her dog engaged/amused, and taught her beginning nose work tasks.

My terrier mix was diagnosed yesterday. :sad1 8 week recovery of walks only to potty and total rest/crated otherwise. Full recovery not for 6 months or so, but 8 weeks to begin to recover which means to get scar tissue to really start forming.