Vomitting, now possible UTI?

Last Saturday, Dakar got sick with some vomiting, it improved on Sunday, but then he declined again on Monday so we went to vet first thing in the AM on Tuesday. The vet couldn't find any thing immediately wrong so we did blood work which showed he was severely dehydrated (I can't recall which values exactly were high). So we did sub q fluids and some anti-nausea meds and the vomiting stopped and he started eating food/water again (we were giving him small meals of boiled ground beef/chicken throughout the day). I did notice he seemed to be peeing more than usual, but thought it was due to all the extra fluid.

Yesterday the peeing progressed to the point where he had an accident inside while I was in the shower (he had gone out 2 hours prior). Then later in the afternoon he began having small frequent diarrhea episodes- very gassy, but not a lot of volume, during the whole time he was vomiting he was having normal poops, it only started after we had gotten back from the vet and began giving him small meals again.

I'm calling the vet first thing when they open in half an hour, but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on what is going on. Between the vomit, pee and diarrhea I haven't gotten more than 3 hours of consecutive sleep. I'm exhausted and stressed.  

40 minutes ago, Daks said:

I'm exhausted and stressed

Ugh, I know how that sucks, for you and for him.

I'm no vet (or expert) but if there is pee in the equation my first thought is to do a urinalysis and maybe urine culture (since they'll have the sample anyway). Don't let anyone tell you that boy dogs don't get UTIs, because they do. It may not be as common as with girls but it most definitely happens. Checking kidney/bladder stuff would top my list, followed up by a fecal now that it has switched to diarrhea.

I know a lot of people recommend fasting them for 24hrs when diarrhea occurs, but I'd defer to your vet on that. The downside there is that he'll likely drink more to fill his tummy during that time, but he could probably use the hydration.

Hopefully you can get in at the vet today :)

2 minutes ago, Bizeebee said:

Ugh, I know how that sucks, for you and for him.

I'm no vet (or expert) but if there is pee in the equation my first thought is to do a urinalysis and maybe urine culture (since they'll have the sample anyway). Don't let anyone tell you that boy dogs don't get UTIs, because they do. It may not be as common as with girls but it most definitely happens. Checking kidney/bladder stuff would top my list, followed up by a fecal now that it has switched to diarrhea.

I know a lot of people recommend fasting them for 24hrs when diarrhea occurs, but I'd defer to your vet on that. The downside there is that he'll likely drink more to fill his tummy during that time, but he could probably use the hydration.

Hopefully you can get in at the vet today :)

We have an appointment in an hour, he's lost over 7lbs (and he is already skinny from the hookworms) over the course of the illness so the vet wanted us to keep feeding, though he won't eat very much anymore. I remember the blood values associated with the kidneys were high, but the vet thought it was due to the dehydration. He's stopped drinking water and eating today, and we're very worried. He's so skinny.  

Oh man, 7 lbs since the weekend?? :ohno Poor dude.

Hopefully they'll give him an iv with fluids/nutrition once you're there, and ask about the dog version of like pedialyte/gatorade - I think something like that exists.

I'd definitely try to grab a urine and stool sample to take with you.

Let us (me) know what they say at the vet

His last hookworm treatment was Drontal plus about 3 weeks ago, we were supposed to give AM on Monday, but with him being so sick we've held off. We don't think he got into anything but I guess it's always possible.

No real answers from the vet- Urinalysis showed no signs of UTI despite the frequent urination, fecal did show a lot of Clostridium, so we have metronidazole for that. He's dehydrated again so we got some more sub q fluids. He also started showing signs of being nauseous and threw up a little at the vet, so they gave him some more cernia which seemed to help a lot the first time around. 

Other than that we don't really know what's wrong.

If you are questioning status, changes CALL YOUR VET! Gastroenteritis,  IBD, vomiting and colitis can bring a dog down if left unattended in a short period of time. It sounds like your poor pup is going thru a rough time. Be patient and fingers crossed that modern science has a fix.

Edited by cleptogrey