New Greyhound And Barking?

Hi everyone,

I adopted a new greyhound two days ago and he has been amazing! The only thing I have noticed is that he tends to bark and howl when I am not around him. Once I let him inside and on a bed in my study with me he calms down. He likes to be on his own and doesn't have separation anxiety but has started barking frequently when left outside alone. Is he just quite anxious and still getting used to the new environment? How do you guys cope with the barking and howling? Thanks!

Are you shutting the door on him? I expect he is used to going from his kennel out into a run and coming back inside when he wants.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Greyhounds are inside dogs, they should not be left outside for long periods of time. Dogs in general are pack animals, your hound wants to be near you. Also, 2 days is a very short time, your pup is learning about many new thing and needs you to let him/her know that they are safe.

Congratulations on adopting your new best friend.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

He probably shouldn't be outside alone yet anyway. You don't know yet what he'll get into, or if he's a fence jumper. You will also probably want to reinforce good pottying behaviors while he is out there doing his business.

He's definitely still in the settling in period; these dogs aren't really meant to be thrown in the deep end when they come home - even if he was already fostered.

For what it's worth, we never leave our dogs outside, alone. We have had greyhounds since 1998. Your dog could be eating something he shouldn't, jumping your fence, or even getting hurt. Go out with your dog, reinforce good habits and let him know about bad ones.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

In my household, a bark or howl means the dog is done with the outdoors and wants to come inside. Sometimes it is 2 minutes after I've let them inside, but if the weather is nice my pups may decide to make use of their outside beds for a while.