Getting Into Car?

dogmum

used to have an old car that was easy for any of my dogs to access but my Honda Accord is not that easy. My non grey is now 13yrs old (55lb) and hates getting into car now. The back seat has a slippery surface but I have a rug over it. Hard on my back to lift him in. Do any of the ramps etc actually work, not sure if he would use one as he's abit nervous of things. TIA for any input :) ann

Measure before you buy. Many ramps are too wide for the doorways of passenger cars; (SUVs have wider doors. My ramp is too wide to rest at the bottom of the door. It only works if I rest the top on the back seat, and that makes the ramp too steep for my boy's comfort.) The other issue with a ramp in a passenger car is where do you park? The ramps usually stretch too far from your car into the next parking space, and if another car is there, you don't have room. (People using ramps on SUVs usually load from the back hatch.)

I tried a plastic Rubbermaid step-stool, but my boy wouldn't use it. My boy has a screw holding his hock together, and he won't try to jump up. My girl won't jump because she's just a princess. I have to lift her front feet, then boost the back end. The boy will put his front feet on the seat, then I boost him the rest of the way. I had an appendectomy in January, and the orders were that I was not to lift anything that weighed more than 20 pounds for four weeks, so the dogs spent 4 weeks not going to any meet and greets, but the four weeks was up last Friday.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Styrofoam steps are the best. Easy and inexpensive to build and they can be stored in the way back or on the passenger side. I built ours nine years ago and they are still in use.

For the back seat, I would try a non-skid runner as a base layer then add a blanket if needed.

Good luck with your old sweetie.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

No advice on the ramp, but if I ever need such a thing I'd try the styro steps.

As well, a back seat dog hammock would make getting into the back seat more appealing, as well as preventing him falling off the seat.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Note, though, that a back-seat hammock requires the dog to go from the ground to the seat. Without the hammock, a dog could conceivably step from ground to the floor of the back seat, then up to the seat.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Depends on the size of your car!

My dogs would not fit in the small foot-well space in my Versa.

Actually.... they might fit, but would not be able to turn around enough to face the seat and then jump onto it.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

thnx for all the input. Yes I do have a "hammock" but as mentioned, it would be best if he could step into floor and then up to seat but my car does not enable that (old car did). I purposely chose this car model as it does have a "step" to get up into car. Originally it was slippery but we glued a piece of carpet along it which helped. I will try the yoga mat idea btw, perhaps it will help stabilize as the hammock and blanket on it do tend to slide when he tries to get up. He is timid and frankly I don't think he will walk up a ramp etc particularly as he is not food driven which would have been helpful. I am concerned because we use the car to travel to nice walks for him plus he is a therapy dog and I need to take him in the car to places to visit people.

I use the ruffwear harness. Felix wants to get in so half the battle is over. I lift him by the handle and under his waist. Exiting it's his collar and waist. This is in and out of the Honda odessey which has a platform which is elevated 2 ft above the door. We use the platform for camping. It's the same procedure for in and out of a sedan or the lower rear door.

Rather than a yoga mat use the super thin neoprene mats from bed bath and beyond. Occasionally home goods or tjmaxx gets them. But with the 20% coupon the price is right.

Also if you get the front paws in the rest is an easy lift

Edited by cleptogrey