Statuing: Waiting It Out Vs. Letting Dog Know Whose Boss

On 5/23/2019 at 4:43 PM, Time4ANap said:

Petunia loves to walk but as far as we can tell there is no rhyme or reason to why she statues. It can happen at any time during the walk. Sometimes she proceeds to walk after a few minutes of stopping, but sometimes I have had to have my wife bring the car because I can't move her.  She is pretty much a stubborn broodie.  There's a part of me that thinks after walking for a half mile or so that she might have some joint pain, but there were also days when she walked a mile and half without stopping and no sign of anything wrong. She is a great little walker until she statues - then it's a complete unknown as the whether we will make it home or not without calling for the car.  We currently have a second hound staying with us, and she is much better when there is another hound along for the walk. 

I only put the harness on her for the walk or if we are going in the car. She does not need to wear it the rest of the time and usually just has a tag collar on in the house. 

Will probably give it a shot. We have not spent any $$ on her today yet! So a harness is as good a choice as anything :) I bought a folding 3 prong cane with seat so I can sit myself down on her freezing escapades. That was good money spent for sure. 

3 hours ago, Reminaz said:

Will probably give it a shot. We have not spent any $$ on her today yet! So a harness is as good a choice as anything :) I bought a folding 3 prong cane with seat so I can sit myself down on her freezing escapades. That was good money spent for sure. 

Someone on here whose name I won't mention (coughFiveRooerscough) suggested I take a book along on Petunia's walks. :lol

I really do prefer the harness for Petunia. I feel like I have much more control.  She is a great walker until she stops dead in her tracks. The harness lets me get her moving again.  i could not do that with a martingale on her.  I found that I preferred my own leash with the 2Hounds harness.  I bought their double ended leash in case I needed both attachment points, but that leash with the extra hardware makes the leash much heavier than I like. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Don’t forget, this girl whole world has changed drastically in such a short time. Imagine moving to a foreign country with a different language, culture and food. This is what she’s experiencing now. You may need to be patient with her at times until she adjusts to her new world. If she does move forward, even with one paw praise and reward. She needs lots of love and patience, not someone who shows who’s boss.

Good luck.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross