Shedding

Have had my 2+ year old red male Greyhound for about 4 months now. Love him to death. Virtually no issues, can leave him alone to roam the house for hours without a problem. Zero heath concerns. Zero stress issues.

When I first got him, I would brush him every couple of days and get a small amount of hair, nothing unusual. Lately, when I brush him, nothing, nada, no hair. His coat is pristine.

I should note that I live in Northeast Ohio and the weather the last 6 weeks has been extremely cold.

Im probably OCD, but is there any reason for concern?

My grey seems to shed seasonally. So springtime and fall usually. Nothing this winter until yesterday, I picked up a handful of hair after petting him. But it has been a mild winter so far, 50s a few days ago!

From other posts on this, I've learned that some greys rarely ever shed and others shed just as much as a German Shepherd. :D

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

Lately, when I brush him, nothing, nada, no hair.

Enjoy! Your boy is probably saving up for a Big Shed when it gets warmer. You'll probably be able to make a second greyhound with the fur you get from him then. :) But keep on brushing -- most dogs enjoy it and it's a good way to keep bonding and also check for possible skin problems.

I've learned that some greys rarely ever shed and others shed just as much as a German Shepherd.

Agreed. The two hounds I have now have different types of coat feels -- one soft and downy, the other more stiffer. They shed different amounts at different times.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

one of my red fawns had a fluffy coat- thick and luxurious. she knew how to shed, big time! the other a tight tight red fawn- still sheds but not as much as the looser coat which even had a double coat. once he's done blowing his track coat, let the shedding begin. a whole new story since you will be amazed at how different it is that what he is wearing. enjoy your new pup! also, i find shedding is relevant to the duration of daylight vs. temperature. keep that in mind in the future.