Grey Not Responding To Ibd Treatment

bboylan

31 minutes ago, greysmom said:

Randomized, Controlled Trial of Budesonide and Prednisone for the Treatment of Idiopathic Inflammatory Bowel Disease in Dogs

Here's the original study, though I think I might have remembered the results incorrectly.  I haven't had time this am to read it properly.

I'm thinking you might have copy/pasted the wrong link, this one just takes me right back to this thread.

I'm guessing this is the one? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24112400

Edited by Bizeebee

Ha.

I shouldn't try to do complicated things in the morning! :youcrazy

That's the one.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

11 minutes ago, Hubcitypam said:

Go buy a bag of Iams.  The beet pulp does it.  We wormed fecaled and tested Rex within an inch of his life.  24 hours on Iams and he was a new man. 

I honestly think that's probably true, but getting his stool back where we want it might makes us (and him) feel better, it doesn't really solve the problem. His poops were fine (on purina one) all while he was losing weight and constantly starving.

Our real test of success is the malabsorption challenge, which he won't pass until the inflammation heals (I guess?). That's the struggle right now, success is invisible and impossible to measure on the day to day. Success is when he gains instead of loses weight and isn't crying to eat all. the. time.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:12 AM, Bizeebee said:

We've just started a longer course of met, so we'll see how that goes.

Do you remember whether your vet sent the culture out, or did it in house? If it went outside, do you know where they sent it?

When we brought up the culture to our internist he was interested in the idea (because he'd never had one done before) but skeptical it would actually help us - which is why he hadn't pushed for it all along. His perspective is that there are too many bugs and we don't know enough about them for the culture to help target treatment. Which makes sense on it's own, but is not at all in line with what it seems like a lot of people here on GT have experienced.

I just wonder, because this dog has not been on any ABs (other than the met and one course of cefpodoxime for a sheath infection) the whole time we've had him (almost a year). I'm definitely in favor of any medical professional who doesn't just throw a bunch of antibiotics at every problem - our regular vet and this internist are both hesitant to use them without solid proof - but I just wonder if we need to at this point, just to see if it would do anything.

The culture was sent out, possibly to IDEXX. My vet absolutely does not believe in using antibiotics willy nilly but he had a strong suspicion about was going on which is why he started her on the amoxicillin as soon as he had the sample and the Baytril on the basis of the results.