Corn Pain Aggression. Really Struggling

Guest Grey123

Guest Grey123

Hey everyone,

We adopted our 5 year old grey last April. She's been an amazing pup, but has been struck by a massive corn in her left hind leg. She's been lame for nearly a month while we waited for it to form, and now has a pulled groin as a consequence of it all. The corn was hulled today.

Leading up to the procedure, she's been incredibly aggressive when approached and touched lying down. We've avoided triggering her this way as much as possible. But unfortunately - she never growls, resorting immediately to snaping & biting. She bit a friend recently and now she's become aggressive when I attempt to treat and moisturize her paws. Even muzzled, she still manages to nip me.

I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions on curbing her pain-aggression and managing her pain. I'm going to try treating her paws standing up. Any and all help is appreciated. Before this, we had absolutely no behavioural problems with her.

Thanks,

M

Two of mine had corns. I gave pain pills to both of them. I also had them hulled every week. I never let them walk on hard floors or roads. I put scatter rugs (from Dollar General) all over the house. They wore Thera Paws. My vet said that corns are like walking with a rock in your shoe..it hurts like crazy. Do not fall into the trap of having surgery on them..they will just come back or change toes..It is a pretty bad surgery to get over. If you can help the pain, I believe the biting will stop.

Did she come to you with the corn or has it developed since her retirement? Was she in a home prior to coming to you? In a kennel? On a farm raising pups? I'm asking to see if anyone else has been treating her or if this is all since shes been adopted?

Frankly, at this point, I would get a nice cushy boot that fits well, maybe pad it with a toddler sock, and have her wear that when walks are necessary. Stop dealing with the corn all together for a while. I know this sounds counter productive, but some dogs just need a sort of "benign neglect" when it comes to treating them.

My Corn Dog hates having his feet messed with. If I can get his nails cut I feel like it's a huge success! I've found that just leaving his corns alone is best for both of us. He doesn't have to walk anywhere except in our yard, and when we do I use the above described boot method to make him more comfortable. If he goes to the vet for anything hes sedated for our vet will hull and treat them when he's out.

If you haven't yet, join the "Greyhounds with Corns" group on Facebook. Tons of advice and experience and support.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Grey123

She was lame with her foster parents for a few week with a contusion on her paw, and had small bursts of lameness (no more than 10 minutes) leading up to the corn's formation, so I think it's been a problem since we adopted her - albeit hidden and without us knowing what was going on.

The neglect and cushioning method sounds about right. Ductape is very intersting one! My plan is to treat her really well this weekend (a bully stick for sure!) to see if we can get back on track. Prior to today, she hadn't had an aggressive outbust in two weeks.

Appreciate the feedback everyone!

Get her up on her feet and put her muzzle on. If you're on your own, clip a leash on and then kneel on the leash (to keep dog somewhat still) while you treat.

One of mine greatly disliked being doctored when he was lying down. Much better when standing up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.