Ruptured Superficial Flexor Tendon

Guest jollyvicky

Guest jollyvicky

Hi.

I don't own a grayhound, however, I realised I could seek help on this forum since a lot of cases of this particular injury happen also in this breed.

My girl has a ruptured flexor tendon, her toe looks flat to the ground. I was told the operation doesn't work in all cases and so the recovery time is not worth all of it.

It's been 6 weeks, she is not limping and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. I put a shoe on her everytime we go out for protection. We were active in agility before and other sports which I am not sure I would dare to do further with her as I feel all the tension is only on this particular toe all the time. I was considering taping it in place, but have no idea how to do it. Was wondering if you guys ever tape toes (It's one of her middle toes on left leg), and how you do it?

28060895_1823238197689016_34222460144141

Any help or experience with this particular injury super appreciated!

Aiden has a similar insult to his superficial digital tendon on a hind foot. After ~eight weeks of complete rest he is doing really well and is able to continue all of his activities, as well as his yard zoomies. He isn't lame on that foot and other than the toe being flat to the ground and odd looking, you wouldn't know.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Don't despair. That is not likely to be a debilitating injury! Just let your dog rest and exercise gradually increasing over many weeks. IMO she will be ready to run her agility sooner than you think. At least thats been my experience with the greyhounds. Even if a toe required amputation they quickly healed and could safely rip and run again. Your girl does not have to give up any of her activities just because of a toe injury-except for a couple weeks for the injury to heal. Then she should be good as new. Do not tape. Leave it alone.

Edited by racindog

My boy has a "sprung toe" on a back foot-middle toe. His toe basically lays flat to the ground with the nail pointing upwards. He limped and had a minor amount of pain (handled with meds) for a month or so . Now he runs and plays and does everything he wants to without any issues. Unless you are walking/running a lot on pavement or cement that might rub on the bottom of the toe, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

FWIF, our vet said that surgery is rarely fixative as it requires months of splinting and house rest, and the tendon is simply too weak too take much of any stress, even after suturing and restricting exercise. They retear very easily and you've lost months and $$$$ trying to fix it.

Most of us here are keeping our dogs as pets, so it doesn't matter that much, but some do lure course and end up taping toes. If one of our coursing owners doesn't chime in you might look up a forum or chat with more coursing or sporting members and ask (or try YouTube to see if someone has a video up of toe taping).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest jollyvicky

Thank you everyone for quicky and lovely replies! She is mainly my best friend, hiking and traveling buddy so I was willing to give up sports for the purpose of her general health. I thought taping might help her not to injure it further now when it lies this flat. I am worrying about arthritis after, but will see. It does look pretty scarry though as her toe is totally flat in the joint.

THANK YOU once again! You all are super lovely.

My boy has a "sprung toe" on a back foot-middle toe.

Thank you. That was the term I couldn't locate at o'early o'clock this morning.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Her's a picture of Whiskey's foot. The long toe closest to the viewer is the sprung one. He really has no limitations at all because of the injury now that it's healed - ie. scar tissue has developed over the tear and the foot is stable.

27164931848_e67f32408a_c.jpgIMG_20180326_135122838 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest jollyvicky

Vicky's actually looks worse as her top joint is also flat, better seen here:

20180315_094751.jpg

Thoisis the reason i worry she would do something to it eventually...