Gerd

Grace non grey has had episodes of GERD by waking up, swallowing hard, licking her lips, hacking etc....Had her on 10mg of Prilosec which seemed to help for a while. Then she had a bad episode this past weekend and ended up in ER. They put her on liquid Carafate. It smells delicious....It was 2am and I forgot to ask ER Dr if this is a medication she can stay on long term....Anyone know??

I believe so, though getting to the bottom of her issue would be good too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Did her bad episode involve vomiting? Skye (my mix) has been having some weird issues, the main part of which has been 2 bad vomiting episodes, the first of which landed us in the ER on President's day. My vet thought maybe she had something nasty that didnt get cleared out the first time, but these were weeks apart. The other option was possibly an ulcer (why?) or reflux. A scope was a possibility if it didn't resolve this time.

Anyway, is she still on the Prilosec? Seems you'd want to continue that in addition to the Carafate. We did both plus Cerenia for 3 days and so far so good (knock on wood!).

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jen, no vomiting involved. Just swallowing hard, licking her lips and it makes her so nervous. My heart was breaking watching her. I just read an article that post nasal drip can cause those symptoms????? I gave her a Cerenia and it did nothing....I think it’s reflux that comes up, burns her throat and that begins her episodes. I can’t wait to hear from UW Madison for her appointment

Huh. Any other signs of allergies that could maybe explain the post nasal drip?

My vet wanted Skye to stay on the Cerenia those few days because it apparently also has an anti-inflammatory effect and she thought it could help for that reason. I'll be curious to hear what you find out. Hope its something simple.

Btw, Skye was doing that lip licking and swallowing the day before her second bout of vomiting, for her it seems to be nausea. :dunno

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."