Lola has itchy butt. Anal glands have been expressed and there are no internal parasites or fleas. I've started her on an elimination diet starting with chicken. Can food allergies cause itchy butt?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Yes, food allergies can make it worse. Some dogs are also prone to anal gland issues so it's hard to say.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

reverse the diet, start with rice and only rice. then add one ingredient at a time.you will be able to identify the irritant faster. also, give the ingredient a couple of days. i find that with almonds it takes a couple of days until the same response kicks in! some foods produce a rash around my mouth, some red hands & feet, some itchy scalp. go, know?

try rice/beef- 4-6 days, rice/turkey- 4-6 days, rice/chicken- 4-6 days. i don't know if you can get a pork based food or not, if so- then try pork. then go on to pasta(wheat) and meats. an old friend's ancient saluki was having major breathing problems, not LP. It was allergies. she had gone thru every commercial high grade food and finally out of desperation she tried the testing above. it worked, he could eat turkey and either pasta or rice. he lived to 18!!

reverse the diet, start with rice and only rice. then add one ingredient at a time.you will be able to identify the irritant faster. also, give the ingredient a couple of days. i find that with almonds it takes a couple of days until the same response kicks in! some foods produce a rash around my mouth, some red hands & feet, some itchy scalp. go, know?

try rice/beef- 4-6 days, rice/turkey- 4-6 days, rice/chicken- 4-6 days. i don't know if you can get a pork based food or not, if so- then try pork. then go on to pasta(wheat) and meats. an old friend's ancient saluki was having major breathing problems, not LP. It was allergies. she had gone thru every commercial high grade food and finally out of desperation she tried the testing above. it worked, he could eat turkey and either pasta or rice. he lived to 18!!

Sounds like a plan...thank you! I'll give this a try. Poor girl was itching all over this morning.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

try a couple of days on benadryl (talk to your vet first of course) so the allergic reaction can subside with help. what part of the country is the magic city located in? it could also be ground mold. being safe i would start the rice, rinse- no shampoo(it dries out the skin)- the girl to get contact allergens off and administer the antihistamine for a couple of days. then start the testing. also, one of the variables can be a protein source and either white potato or yam. you have a good 2 months of cooking ahead of you. if you wish add a good multi vitamin to her diet. but i have had dogs on rice for years....

try a couple of days on benadryl (talk to your vet first of course) so the allergic reaction can subside with help. what part of the country is the magic city located in? it could also be ground mold. being safe i would start the rice, rinse- no shampoo(it dries out the skin)- the girl to get contact allergens off and administer the antihistamine for a couple of days. then start the testing. also, one of the variables can be a protein source and either white potato or yam. you have a good 2 months of cooking ahead of you. if you wish add a good multi vitamin to her diet. but i have had dogs on rice for years....

The Magic City is Miami, Florida. GROUND MOLD! EEEK! She has taken to lying in the dirt in the backyard even though she has a bed in the sun and one in the shade...go figure. I thought I would rinse her off and apply conditioner to soothe her skin.

I've already eliminated chicken. Will need to check her food sources for potato. She does get sweet potato in her meals and as treats.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no reason to assume if she has an allergy it is to FOOD.

There are so many other possibilities. My brother had a dog that was allergic to grass. I had a dog who had seasonal allergies to just about every kind of pollen.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

There is no reason to assume if she has an allergy it is to FOOD.

There are so many other possibilities. My brother had a dog that was allergic to grass. I had a dog who had seasonal allergies to just about every kind of pollen.

I realize that there are countless allergens other than food. We are beginning the diagnostic process with the assumption that this might be a food allergy. Chicken is the first food to be eliminated. The anal itching has subsided and she has stopped scratching the tops her ears; the fur is starting to grow back. Once we've finished testing for sensitivity to chicken, we'll continue the elimination diet by cutting out beef and so forth. If changes in diet don't solve the problem, then we'll move on to testing for other allergens.