Afraid Of Going Potty?

Guest GusTheBus

Guest GusTheBus

Gus was pretty well ready to go the day he moved in with us. He was part of the family immediately and adapted to the new environment really well.

After about 6 weeks with us, he started to get the recurring diarrhea which lasted for almost a solid 2 months.. http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/321913-recurrent-diarrhea/?do=findComment&comment=6043881

He has become increasingly difficult to manage on walks. He pulls like a freight truck. He has started scratching the dirt with all 4 feet very aggressively.

After going #2, he spins around and bucks like a bronco, like he's trying to get away from it... It is so odd it's a bit hard to describe ><

Could he be afraid of going potty? Could he be in pain?

Thanks again!

Edited by GusTheBus

Guest GusTheBus

he does that in the yard when hes not leashed And I encourage him with lots of good boys because he was so unhappy going Potty for so long

His demeanor has just become so night and day between home and out on the walk. Idk if hes afraid or aggressive or anxious but when it happens I call his name to get his attention and i swear you can literally see him snap out of it and look around like: what was that?

There is of course a real possibility Im overreacting and hes just being playful which I will certainly try to view his behavior through tomorrow morning :)

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going with post-poop zoomies too, especially if he's now feeling better and having good stools. But really observe his body language over the next day or two and see how he is. It wouldn't be out of the question for him to be a bit anxious to go if he was in pain for a while.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

A lot of them (and a lot of dogs in general!) get the post-poo zoomies where they'll bounce around like puppies after they poop - could that be what he's doing?

I noticed Rogue does this after #2 on the cold mornings. He kicks with all four legs then bucks with his back all humped up. Sometimes he'll dash to the end of the leash and go into a play bow. If he's off leash, he does zoomies. His whole demeanor is happy dog though.

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

Larry kicks up a storm with all 4 paws after he poops (and pees), but only on walks. He's partly doing it as he's leash-weird with other dogs when walking (and geese, and squirrels, and little birdies and..... geesh :rolleyes:) and it's kind of an territorial thing. Zeke will tear up the grass after pooping, but ONLY when NOT on walk, just in the back yard.

sounds like your pup is just feeling good about taking a good dump :D

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest GusTheBus

Ok Ill for sure keep an eye on him. I was just assuming bad because hes become really tough to handle on walks.

We think he needs to socialize with other animals. He looks at other dogs like he has no idea what they are. We feel so bad for him

Edited by GusTheBus

Guest GusTheBus

So I gave him the same good boys and up beat tone and he went bananas. Spinning bull to bucking bronco to 6 month old puppy with his nose on the ground but in the air front feet splayed apart. He is definitely happy about potty time. He does still turn to nip the bug he thinks is biting him so hes still a bit uncomfortable but looking good.

I feel so much better about getting truly adapted. We hung out behind a couple of super chill black labs who were out and about. He exhibits some pretty specific behavior when we see other dogs so Im going to search the boards and see whats up.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

It's quite common for greyhounds to not recognise other breeds of dogs as "dogs" just like them. They don't as a rule see other breeds as they are raised. And Greyhounds spend much longer with their Mom and their siblings (up to a year or more) than other dogs, so they learn "dog language" and behavior much better than ones that are taken away from their families at 8-12 weeks old.

Your idea of socializing him with calm other dogs is a good one. Remember to reward the behavior you want - calm acceptance - with yummy treats, and to remove him from a meeting situation if he gets too worked up. Meeting in safe, contained spaces off leash might be better for him (search for "leash reactivity").

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest GusTheBus

Thanks again! My niece has a couple King Charles spaniels and a that we were going to start with.It seems about that size and up hes interested or anxious. She also has a chihuahuas but the last one of those he saw he seemed to be more looking for lunch.

Edited by GusTheBus

Guest GusTheBus

Have determined:

it will be bloody if he gets close enough to anything under 40-50 lbs. he barked for the 4th time in four months at a pair of yorkies across the street.

Saw some tiny dog loose and he was trembling salivating and literally lick g his lips while he could see it.

Only training sticking is when I tell him bed and bring him food and even then its a struggle.

Have been teaching him for 4 months to wait at doors intersections when we see headlights,to stay away from counters people food and no change in behavior.

Verbal cues ignored.

Sharp/short leash feedback is ignored

Sometimes he bites at the leash when Im putting it on to go out. He doesnt know or ignores his name.

Charges door/gate when leaving house

Nips at back of my legs when were prepping for walk or he wants fed.

Begins whining for food around 3am. Tried closing BR door and he whined or bumped it from around 11 to around 4

The only way Im able to keep him from tearing my arm of:

Left hand goes through loop of lead then I wrap it around one time

Right hand holds leash slack from about a foot above/left of ear.

The lead between my hands is behind my back so that when he decides to take off I can sort of just lean back and it hits me across the middle of my hamstring. And he cant get far because the lead is only 6 ft long. .

Wife says to give it Time be consistent that sort of thing but its been 4 months of by the book practice and basically no change.

I find the only way either one of us enjoys the walk is when I just let him do whatever and ignore him.

Im going to try it for a week. See how it goes.

Open to suggestion.

Edited by GusTheBus

Find a good, positive reinforcement-only, certified trainer to help you. Now.

Remember that greyhounds have been bred for, literally, thousands of years to be independent hunters. They are not cooperative behaviorally like other herding and hunting breeds who live to work *with* humans. Greyhounds are smart and stubborn and are generally better human trainers than we are dog trainers. They can learn and they do learn, but you must find the right motovation (yummy food treats, toy rewards, play rewards) and be patient and stubborn as well.

Generally, they *DO NOT* respond to punishment-based training. They are more apt to either shut down or begin completely ignoring you. And it simply won't work if you try to use them to change his prey drive. Being safe or not-safe around small dogs is something hard-wired into his DNA. You *may*, with a lot of help and training, be able to have him be calm and not eat the small dog snacks, but he will likely never be able to be off-leash or meet them with complete safety.

Please, contact your group to see if they can recommend a certified, positive reinforcement-only trainer in your area. If you post your geographical area, someone here may also be able to offer suggestions.

Guest GusTheBus

Theres an event at a big dog park were attending tomorrow. Ive taken lots of notes and will talk to them

Its just crazy. Hes so lovey and cuddly. Cat was lying next to wife on the couch. He jumps up real soft. Lays down. Puts his foot right against the cats foot. Goes to sleep 💤

More than anything were just worried hes not happy.

Guest GusTheBus

After careful consideration and observation Im all but certain of two things.

1: Gus. Is. Bored. Stir Crazy. Cabin Fever. Whatever you want to call it.

2: 45 MPH Couch Potato is the drinking bud light materializes girls in Bikinis of the dog advertising world.

He was pulling. He was running out in front. He was staring down another dog. I Ran out of bags in my new dispenser doo dad. Had to clean up with someones tossed Taco Bell bag. Plus it was friggin COLD.

So I was frustrated and just started waking at a kinda brisk pace and sort of not paying attention. It was so quick it was a bit weird. Different attitude, posture, all of it good. I was just going to slow. Ive been overweight my entire adult life. Lost 90 pounds this year. Walking quick never occurred to me before lol.

Hopefully big event today will help confirm but Im nearly certain he just needs more activity.

Edited by GusTheBus

Guest GusTheBus

Event going ok 2 dust ups with little dogs but it was them not him that swung first

Omg small dog owners are so irresponsible....loose chihuahua just ran by. Grey pack all about went bananas

I need advice about lure coursing. Theyre doing it here with spaniels and he wants it. Bad.

I didnt see much here about it.

Gus is 4.5 yrs old. Retired in May.

TYVM

Edited by GusTheBus