Ear Infection?

Violet has yelped when I was rubbing her ears a couple of times this week. Only seems to happen first thing in the morning, but that may be coincidence. After I rubbed them this morning she scratched at the right ear (the one that seems to bother her) for a very little bit. Do you think she has an ear infection?

Her ears look completely clean, no sign of build up. We've never had ear infection issues here.

Anything I can do until we can get to the vet? We're about to leave town for the week!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I always keep this stuff on hand https://www.amazon.com/Vet-Solutions-Ear-Cleansing-Solution/dp/B000O5I5X0

Cleans, acidifies, dries, etc. I use it after they get a shower, beach/river run etc, and if they have ear irritations like you are having. It has served me well.

Since you are leaving and can't get to the vet, they might have something like that at Tractor Supply you can pick up quickly.

I use a good amount, they try to shake it out right away, fill one ear, hold their head between my legs so they can't shake, fill the other ear (by fill I mean use a bunch, but not totally full :lol ) then massage their ears (not aggressively or forcefully, but pretty darn good, can't think of the right word, definately not gently, you are trying to work it in and work things loose), you can hear the solution sloshing around for a good 10 seconds or so, then let them shake it out. I then use a cotton ball, or something to dry the outside portion of their ears.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

I routinely (every couple of weeks or as needed) do as Jeff describes using Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner also available on Amazon. This is what my vet uses in her practice.

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Thanks. I remembered that we have an ear cleaning solution somewhere, or did, whether it made the move is another question. But worst case I can have that stuff shipped via prime to the house I'm renting.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."