Irritated Feet

Three of Lola's feet seem irritated; slightly pink in between her toes and next to the center pad. She's not been chewing or licking that I've noticed and does not seem in any discomfort. I've been cleansing with saline solution and applying EMT gel.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

She might be picking up pollen on walks. Try getting her to walk through a pan of water and dry her feet when she comes back in the house.

You can check www. pollen.com and put in your zip code to see what your pollen levels are and see what pollen is most prolific. Pollen count is low here in Atlanta, but it's ragweed.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Did you change her food recently?

Nope. No new foods.

She might be picking up pollen on walks. Try getting her to walk through a pan of water and dry her feet when she comes back in the house.

You can check www. pollen.com and put in your zip code to see what your pollen levels are and see what pollen is most prolific. Pollen count is low here in Atlanta, but it's ragweed.

So it's the pollen that gives them itchy feet, not the grass itself? Thanks for the link. I just started the foot rinsing routine today.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

So it's the pollen that gives them itchy feet, not the grass itself? Thanks for the link. I just started the foot rinsing routine today.

If the itching just started, then it has to be something that wasn't on the grass before but is there now. Typically, that's pollen...or lawn chemicals.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

we went thru this quite a few years ago. emily's webbing was red and raw looking- just about overnight(she was licking her paws). it turns out that it was fungus. it had some black marks- looked like dirt. the vet scraped off the black marks and i applied desitin(the white baby diaper rash ointment) which kept it dry. felix had a similar thing going on with his nail bed- for that we used an OTC fungal cream. both had a lot of beach time that fall and we they have not experienced anything like that. but when the dogs run into webbing/toe issues i was told to keep it dry(so fungus will not grow) and to use a medicated powder until it heals. you might consider visiting the vet.

If the itching just started, then it has to be something that wasn't on the grass before but is there now. Typically, that's pollen...or lawn chemicals.

The strange thing is that she's not going at her feet; there appears to be no discomfort. I've ordered a chlorhexadine based anti-fungal, anti-yeast, antibacterial spray. We'll see how that goes.

There are no chemicals in the yard. There's scarcely any grass! My first Grey, Wendy, took care of that.

molds are in the dirt! this time of the year they become very active

Eeeew! God only knows what hurricane Irma stirred up, too. Hopefully the antifungal spray I bought will work.

My Sobe got red, itchy feet every Fall as soon as the leaves hit the ground. He got pretty bad and would want to chew his feet, especially at night. My vet suggested 1 Benadryl in the morning, 2 at night. Problem eliminated. He was a 90 lb grey, so that might be too much for a smaller dog.

If she's not in obvious discomfort, I wouldn't get too concerned. But - just for the heck of it, give her 1/2 a Benadryl twice a day and see what happens. If the redness goes away I'd call it a seasonal allergy, and just roll with it.

Just noticed red blotches on Lola's belly. Beginning to wonder if chicken is the culprit as she eats it frequently and had it for breakfast. As with her feet, she does not appear to be in any discomfort.