Oxygenation Level In Greyhounds

macoduck

Do greyhounds have a lower oxygenation level that other dogs? Friend at vet right now. O2 at 91%.

-had CT earlier today (light sedation) to investigate bulging eye and limp, so head neck spine leg.

-a few hours later home he spikes fever 104 pacing panting

-losing his hind end

-O2 level 91%

-had tramadol and gabapentin earlier today

-e-vet just gave him something to help him sleep/relax

-has not been given oxygen or lasix

-e-vet wants to keep him overnight

-gums a bit tacky and tongue red but not dark

What's going on here? I've had dogs come home from anesthesia and be a bit wonky but why the lower oxygen level?

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm really rough on remembering all the actual theories here but I think that the high temperature (happens with some greys coming out from anesthesia) causes the rapid breathing and that leads to deprived oxygen. It also affects the CO2 balance as I remember. This is one link that I found - there are more (search for - dogs high temp low oxygen)

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/cardiovascular/c_multi_hypoxemia

I hope the dog is OK.

I'm finding from situations that my dogs have been in that once the temp hits about 102.5 is a stressed situation (usually coming out from anesthesia but not limited to that), it is likely to keep climbing so cooling measure need to be put into effect immediately - again, this is just my experience.

Thank you MaryJane

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I should add that this high temp/panting seemed to happen when they got my dogs up and moving after a procedure so hard to say that it is the temperature or the panting or the result of the anesthesia causing the panting and increasing the temperature or the stress associated with coming out of the anesthesia (so many factors). I made sure to keep my dog inactive when this occurred and I passed these instructions to the hospital staff as moving the dog seemed to make the situation worse. They would use cold towels and a fan and temperature would return to normal within 20 to 30 minutes (under 101). FYI -- they may have given gabapentin to help relax the dog, it takes about 20 minutes to take effect.

The gabapentin must be helping. Owner took him out to pee. Temp now 101.3 At noon today was when he came out of sedation and it was at 8pm that it spiked.

tiny hada siggy.png

O2 now at 97!

Thank you Dr Ng, for this response on FB:

No, O2 levels are the same as other dogs. If anything, their oxygen carrying capacity should be better than other dogs.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks everyone for responses. Last night diagnosis was anxiety related panting. He was given 4mg Torbugesic to calm him down. After about 3 hours his oxygen level increased to 9.7 and temp dropped to 101.2. Blood gases were all good, blood pressure was good. He rested ok last night. Some breakfast this morning and is finally resting. Waiting on radiology so we can see what is behind the eye and what was showing on the lung.

For the CT Scan he was given 10mg Torbugesic, Dexdomitor Dexmedetomidine HC .5mg and the contrast agent was Omnipaque. Then Trazadone later because he was so anxious after the scan was over. We picked him up 3 or 4 hours after the scan and he was still loopy. Once home and he had some dinner we gave him Gabapentin and Tramadol, he had not had any pain meds since day before. After dinner he would not settle, kept pacing, panting, pacing, panting.

Thank you Ducky for checking in with the greyhound experts while my phone died.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

How much Tramadol? It can cause that type of reaction in greyhounds and I could see the potential for the anxiety to be amplified if he were already out of it from the sedation.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

How much Tramadol? It can cause that type of reaction in greyhounds and I could see the potential for the anxiety to be amplified if he were already out of it from the sedation.

I think it was just one dose of 50 mg.

tiny hada siggy.png

How much did this gh weigh? Sounds like a boatload of torb. We typically use 0.05mg/kg dose of torb as a pre-med prior to a ct.

Don't know but I'll ask Lynda about that.

tiny hada siggy.png

Tracey, he weighs 80 lbs. Lynda was told he would be under light sedation.

tiny hada siggy.png

Tracey on Lynda's paperwork it says 10mg/ml and he got a qty of .72 but she didn't know if that was given more than once.

tiny hada siggy.png

Tracey on Lynda's paperwork it says 10mg/ml and he got a qty of .72 but she didn't know if that was given more than once.

We would have given 0.18ml as a pre-med and induced with propofol. Dosing can vary so, I won't make claim that they were technically wrong but, I believe that is where the problem stemmed from.