Licking Rear Foot

Rufus, our 4 year old greyhound, has now licked his left rear foot so much that he's given himself an infection twice. The vet's theory is that his toes don't splay correctly and one outside toenail is rubbing against his other toe. He's finished his course of antibiotics and I don't think he has an active infection anymore but it's still red and raw and the fur is rubbed off. We muzzle him whenever he's unsupervised so he can't lick it. Although he still manages to sneak some in if we have to quickly go into another room. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a cream or ointment that we could put on it at night when he's not moving around to help it heal. I'd like to stop going to the vet!

Bitter Yuck spray is recommended by my vet. It can go on the wound or on whatever (sock or wrap) you have covering it. Bitter Apple was worthless.

Can you post a picture of his foot here?

Can the offending nail be dremelled smoothe so it doesn't chafe the neighboring toe?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Please ask your vet about Apoquel. You can also try leaving a toddler sock on the foot, secured with vetrap.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest goofydog2

To help in the healing process you can also soak several times a day with an Epsom salt solution. When dealing with a toe amp I would mix Epsom salt with pretty warm water, soak a crew sock in it, wring semi-dry then wrap around his foot when he was on his bed (this was my boy with NO space issues. Current fellow only gets a soak if up and awake.) Hold in place until the sock cools a bit then remove. Rinse and repeat for a few days.

I haven't tried the manuka honey since the above has taken care of any of my boys foot issues. If you do a search for manuka honey you will find many threads in H&M that support its great healing qualities.

I have never been able to figure out how to post a photo here. A dremel is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Do you know of a good one?

No advice on the dremel sorry. If you have a Facebook account, load your photo there, click to open it, right click to copy. You can then paste here directly in the text box.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I use a dremel for Ryder, but I think they are one and the same? Just get one that allows for a sandpaper attachment and you should be good to go. But if it's on the inside part, its much safer to use a nail file/emery board just like you'd use on your fingernails.

I'd go with epsom salt soaks and a sock. Sounds like the sock is mandatory, as is a muzzle until it heals up. If it truly isn't a smooth nail, have you checked for a foreign object?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015