House Training For Boys

Might be worth trying a lower sodium food for him.

I hope the antibiotics helped Rhythm.

I have done this recently with Hero, our 3 year old Galgo. He is not a marker.

On his old brand of kibbles he would drink a LOT after his dinner and then need to go our every 15 minutes to pee for a 2-3 hour period- that's not exaggerating. In the last 2 months I've changed him over to a brand with less salt (it's way further down the ingredient list) and the behaviour has disappeared. He does still get a belly band on at night though, I've not been courageous enough to remove that.

It's worth looking into.

:wave Rhythm!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

• 2 years later...
On 11/9/2017 at 12:46 PM, Guest nicky604 said:

I've house-trained 4 male greyhounds. It's a lot harder than with a female.

My boys all wanted to save up their pee to scent mark on their walks.

At first, it's best to focus on the house-breaking because having a 80 lb dog lifting his leg all over the house, well you just don't want that!

If you walk them they won't go in the yard. They'll hold it in because they know they are going for a walk and god forbid if they wasted any of

their precious pee-pee in the yard!

One of mine, held it in (during the day!) for 11 hours!!!

They have huge 747 sized bladders especially equipped for saving up their precious pee gold for all the pee-mails that they are planning on writing

when you give in and take them for a walk.

Get them to go IN THE YARD. The pre-requisite for the walk is that they have to have peed in the yard at least once in the morning.

And no, 1 ml of urine beside the back gate doesn't cut it!

I know that trick!

House-train them as you would a puppy!

You mustn't leave them unsupervised in the house!

You must watch them and catch them IN THE ACT, then scold them and take them OUTSIDE!

With a male, un-neutered or recently neutered, you will have to catch him IN THE ACT several times.

When you take them out the yard, make sure that they actually finish peeing out there.

Often, they won't. Nope! Not even after getting caught in the act inside. Better save up my pee-pee or the world will come to an end

if I have nothing to scent mark the neighbourhood with, right!

So yes, you must teach them that LIFE WILL GO ON even if they sprinkle some liquid gold around in the yard!

What if you live in an apartment? How do you train that? Especially if you're in a high rise. With a yard an elevator ride down?

If you live in a high rise you probably need to be more proactive. I wouldn’t wait until he starts peeing before I took him outside. Assuming that you are currently at home most of the day, start to get your boy into a routine that you are going to be able to maintain when life goes back to normal. Take him outside and wait with him until he has a wee. Give him treats. Eventually he will work out that the faster he pees, the quicker he gets his treat. Then he will get used to going at certain times.
We have tried to maintain our pre-lockdown routine of early morning walk, followed by a wee before my husband leaves for work. Then Buddy holds on until I get home, and very often he doesn’t go straight away because he is too interested in cuddles and belly rubs. It might be another 20 minutes after I get home before he decides he needs a wee, so boys can hold it. You just need to get him into a routine, and that is the case, regardless of where you live.
Good luck!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Just now, MerseyGrey said:

If you live in a high rise you probably need to be more proactive. I wouldn’t wait until he starts peeing before I took him outside. Assuming that you are currently at home most of the day, start to get your boy into a routine that you are going to be able to maintain when life goes back to normal. Take him outside and wait with him until he has a wee. Give him treats. Eventually he will work out that the faster he pees, the quicker he gets his treat. Then he will get used to going at certain times.
We have tried to maintain our pre-lockdown routine of early morning walk, followed by a wee before my husband leaves for work. Then Buddy holds on until I get home, and very often he doesn’t go straight away because he is too interested in cuddles and belly rubs. It might be another 20 minutes after I get home before he decides he needs a wee, so boys can hold it. You just need to get him into a routine, and that is the case, regardless of where you live.
Good luck!

Thank you!! I was just asking! No boy yet :).

But thank you!!

I will definitely keep in mind of the routine of course. But I definitely like the advice I saw here or elsewhere (I don't remember haha) to treat them like a puppy - keep a routine and lots of praise. 

I was definitely going to tether them to me regardless but this definitely reinforced me willingness to do so.