Potty Training Regression? (Urination)

Guest RavenDay

Guest RavenDay

Hello! So my husband and I adopted our girl, Alice, almost two weeks ago now- and up until yesterday, had been doing wonderfully with potty-training! We already have a senior smaller dog, and Alice seemed to have gotten the message that the back yard is where she's supposed to 'go'.

Well, that changed rather suddenly two nights ago.

2:30am, I awoke to an ominous 'water' noise... which was Alice peeing on our bedroom floor. She had been taken out right before we made our way to bed around 10:30pm that night. I immediately leaped out of bed, sternly told her 'NO' (while she was still peeing) and then lead her outside. She happily went number two, and then marked a few spots by piddling on her way back inside.

Yesterday I got out of the shower to discover she had peed again on our upstairs landing, just outside our master bedroom door. She had been taken outside to relieve herself not 30 minutes prior- but she had refused to 'go'. Then, that evening my husband was doing laundry and 'chatting' with her (we talk to our dogs....) when she got up, locked eyes with him, and peed on our upstairs landing AGAIN. He of course told her 'NO' and lead her outside, where she again went number 2.

And then AGAIN, last night, also at 2:30am I was awoken by the sound of water hitting the floor... where we repeated the same story of the night before... scold, lead outside, poop outside.

I work from home most days and am taking her outside every 2-3 hours to go potty, where I praise her every time she relieves herself- but before both daytime incidents, she declined to actually go potty. She has only urinated upstairs, in a slightly similar area each time. But why the sudden change of demeanor? A few nights before all this started, she had even taken to lightly pawing at the door as a cue that she needed to go... now is she simply relieving herself upstairs for the convenience? She's had zero issues going down stairs, and she's finally grasped the mechanics of going upstairs and knowing where to put her feet. I don't think it's a stair thing, unless it's out of sheer laziness.

Her urine smells SO strong! please help; I'd hate for our entire upstairs to become her toilet.

Thank you for your advice in advance~

Liz

There are a few things that stood out for me. If she goes outside and doesn't 'go' but you KNOW she has to (just woken up/played, stayed alone...) stay with her outside until she does her business. Or perhaps teach her a command. When she goes, tell her 'peepee', good girl! Whatever works for you. Because she won't know and will mess if she needs to go. Two weeks is a VERY short time. I always tell adopters that greys changes at 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months.

Secondly, my male started 'marking' even in the yard after a few weeks. Maybe your girl is starting to mark, meaning she keeps a reserve in her tank. I never leave any males at my house alone (or for bed) without a walk, because I want them tired and empty.

Third, have you checked for a UTI?

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

if her urine smells strong, I'm guessing she has a UTI?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest RavenDay

There are a few things that stood out for me. If she goes outside and doesn't 'go' but you KNOW she has to (just woken up/played, stayed alone...) stay with her outside until she does her business. Or perhaps teach her a command. When she goes, tell her 'peepee', good girl! Whatever works for you. Because she won't know and will mess if she needs to go. Two weeks is a VERY short time. I always tell adopters that greys changes at 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months.

Secondly, my male started 'marking' even in the yard after a few weeks. Maybe your girl is starting to mark, meaning she keeps a reserve in her tank. I never leave any males at my house alone (or for bed) without a walk, because I want them tired and empty.

Third, have you checked for a UTI?

Yep, I totally know two weeks is very short, and I'm not losing my patience with her. Just turning to you guys with more Grey experience to make sure we don't do wrong by her. A UTI was in the back of my mind. I'm taking her in to weigh her at the Vet's today- maybe I'll call ahead and see if they can check her out.

Thank you for the tips!!

Guest RavenDay

Oh I simply stating that to note that 2 weeks is short and you shouldn't assume anything yet as she will change again and again and again :)

ah, gotcha! noted!

Although I do hope she doesn't grow out of the 'loves to lick your face so much it might get licked completely off' phase. It's adorable. <3

I'm confused.

Are you under the impression that after two weeks your dog housebroke herself with the aid of your other dog?

Because she was never housebroken in her life, unless she's a bounce. Your first two weeks were possibly just blind luck if you've been taking her out that often. Don't assume she actually "gets it" that quickly.

You need to assume she has no clue, and housebreak her as if she is a puppy.

Also, every newly adopted dog needs to be seen by the vet. She needs to be checked over for the obvious things, but it sounds to me as if a urinalysis would be appropriate as well.

As to the smelly urine, you MUST obtain a cleaner made specially for urine. I find that the powder sold by www.planeturine.com is fabulous.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck