Rescue Interview Questions. Tips?

Many groups provide info to adopters, though maybe not as detailed as this: https://www.greyhoundfriends.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/New-Owner-Guidebook.pdf

Editing to add:

-Ask who you can call with questions after the adoption. It would be good if it was someone near you. One new adopter's greyhound would not get in her car, becoming more stubborn for her with each try. I went over and worked with them. I think it was more training the adopter than the dog. Both needed confidence.

-Do they have a list of dog sitters?

-What vet(s) do they recommend.

-Have them show you how the collar should fit.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Just be yourself and answer questions honestly. When I did home checks I was mostly checking to make sure there were no obvious things that might be hazardous to a curious grey - things like prescriptions or inhalers sitting out where a hound could get to them, and that latches on gates were functional etc. It wasn't a pass fail, but rather assurance that we weren't putting a hound into a place where he/she was setup to fail and be returned, as well as letting us point out things that might prevent a trip to the E-Vet.

Home visits were also a good way to talk about preventing an escape and going over door procedures. Several times I would pull up to a house and find a garage door wide open with no one around. That leaves one door between your grey and an Amber Alert. Most of them hadn't even thought about the fact that they were used to putting the door up in the morning and not closing it until they went to bed.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Remember, this isn't going to be a OMG Martha Stewart housecleaning inspection. They'll be looking at safety issues that might not even have occurred to you. Of interest would be stuff within houndie reach: kid's toys, medications, door escape potential.

I can recall one couple who was mortified that they had not dotted every i and crossed every t in preparation for the home visit. They had completely overlooked something in their field of vision every day: a collection of cactus on their coffee table. Oopsie! :flip

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

When I did interviews and home visits, my major concern was had the people thought thru what it actually meant to adopt a dog and where they prepared to care for the dog for its entire life? I didn't want homes where as soon as the kids left home, they would get rid of the dog. Or where they would be asking to return the dog after the first house accident or first growl. Also did they realize the cost of keeping a dog? And that they wouldn't be able to go out after work as they needed to get home to walk the dog.