Anaplasmosis

Frankie, my new greyhound started out as a foster. He had some less desirable traits that would indicate the need for an experienced greyhound home and one without children. As it turned out, he fit right in with my other two and is staying. His records indicated that he was Lyme positive and treated with doxy at a previous home. Needless to say I was a bit surprised when the results of his vet visit blood work turned up Lyme negative however ... Anaplasmosis positive ...

Researching as much as I can but, not finding much. His platelets are OK at about 160 and liver/kidney values OK.

Would be very interested to hear if anyone has experienced this before with their greyhound and what their story is. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

It doesn't look like there is a titer test for Anaplasmosis so, I can't track whether the levels are better or not - simply whether there are antibodies present. Right now he is a happy, healthy 5 year old boy who is energetic and has a good appetite - no symptoms of any joint/leg pains. I do plan on doing full blood work every year to track platelets.

My mom's older poodle had anaplsmosis. Their is a titer test for anaplsmosis because my vet did one (more than one over the years) on Gaylen. I can ask my vet for the name of it if you like. Paddy and I are due to some laser treatment on Monday.

If you like some more information what to look out for I can ask my mom.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

My mom's older poodle had anaplsmosis. Their is a titer test for anaplsmosis because my vet did one (more than one over the years) on Gaylen. I can ask my vet for the name of it if you like. Paddy and I are due to some laser treatment on Monday.

If you like some more information what to look out for I can ask my mom.

Any information would be appreciated on the titer test and how this affected your mom's poodle. Thx.

Felix just tested positive for Anaplasmosis. 28 days of doxy and with in a week he almost started acting like himself. one of the problems of it is that any organ can be attacked. my friend's mixed breed's bone marrow was compromised. my friend's dog was on 2 different antibiotics. felix's kidney values went down hill. we did a recheck at 3 weeks and his kidney values, ph, bun/ creatine were improved.his platelets were off as well and he also show ridiculous #s that reflected pancreatitis. everything changed after the doxy. so, we presume that's what was being compromised by the bug.

the current vet that i am using has many years of gh experience. she also just checked his thyroid since he was still acting pretty wonky. his #s were fine. i was told that it's like herpes, lays dormant and there can be flare ups. it's a strange one!!! i'm watching, he still doesn't seem like himself.

Edited by cleptogrey

Need to run a prc to see if this is an active infection

I take it you mean a PCR .. He is going back in 3 weeks to get the first Lyme vaccine (Zoetis) - I'll discuss the PCR with the vet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Felix just tested positive for Anaplasmosis. 28 days of doxy and with in a week he almost started acting like himself. one of the problems of it is that any organ can be attacked. my friend's mixed breed's bone marrow was compromised. my friend's dog was on 2 different antibiotics. felix's kidney values went down hill. we did a recheck at 3 weeks and his kidney values, ph, bun/ creatine were improved.his platelets were off as well and he also show ridiculous #s that reflected pancreatitis. everything changed after the doxy. so, we presume that's what was being compromised by the bug.

the current vet that i am using has many years of gh experience. she also just checked his thyroid since he was still acting pretty wonky. his #s were fine. i was told that it's like herpes, lays dormant and there can be flare ups. it's a strange one!!! i'm watching, he still doesn't seem like himself.

Frankie had the doxy 1.5 years ago when they diagnosed the Lyme (which it doesn't look like he has now according to the tests). I'm going to follow up and see if the anaplasmosis is active however, he looks like a healthy, happy pup.

About 4 years ago Graham tested positive for anaplasmosis during a routine annual snap test. I was very surprised because he showed no symtoms and the previous tests had all been negative. He went on a 3 or 4 week course of antibiotics (can't remember which one) and never had a positive again. The only hard part of this for us at least was as the antibiotic treatments wore on it really affected his appetite and I remember giving him pepcid to help some.

About 4 years ago Graham tested positive for anaplasmosis during a routine annual snap test. I was very surprised because he showed no symtoms and the previous tests had all been negative. He went on a 3 or 4 week course of antibiotics (can't remember which one) and never had a positive again. The only hard part of this for us at least was as the antibiotic treatments wore on it really affected his appetite and I remember giving him pepcid to help some.

Interesting - I had thought that he would be positive on subsequent tests.