Aggressive Behavior

I've had Zeppelin over a year and he is very sweet and docile. The only time he barks at the door is when my husband works the night shift and I'm sleeping home alone. During the day people can knock at the door and he won't pay it any mind, people can come in and out most of the time he doesn't even get up.

We are currently staying at my parents due to unforeeen circumstances , we have been here for two months and he's been fine , no barking at the door ever even when my parents dog does. Today, my dad came in the door with my cousin and his child and zeppelin freaked out. He got up and barked at my cousin and his child the way he does in the middle of the night. My dad had to grab him and then I took him outside where he laid down. When they left he went to the fence and watched.

I'm just curious as to if anybody has any suggestion as to why he would be so aggressive all of a sudden when usually it's just at night when I'm home alone. It's also important to note that my cousin and his child were here last week and my dad said zeppelin was fine. (I was at work at the time).

First off, you're probably not dealing with actual "aggression." It's very rare in greyhounds. Just being barky and loud, no matter the circumstance doesn't equal true aggression. Even when he sleep startles, it's because he's been, well, startled! And he not being aggressive, as in a "I want to bite your head off" sort of thing. It's also rare to get a greyhound who is a true guardian of the home, but they do happen. Mine stand at the door and bark their fool heads off if the wind rattles our front gate, but they are mostly just excited to see who's there because it means they get *more* attention!! ;)

If you are home, you can try and head off the barking by calling him to you before anyone enters. Keep his attention with a very yummy treat until they are inside. As long as he remains calm, he gets a treat. Teaching him a command to do instead, like "watch me" or "sit" or "settle down" will help him focus on good behavior.

If he starts jumping around the best strategy is to completely ignore him. Don't speak to him, don't acknowledge him, and try not to even look at him. If he jumps on you (or whoever comes in) have them immediately stop and turn away from him with their arms crossed. He needs to learn that his jumping up will not get him any attention. If he persists, keep a sturdy squeaky toy or chewing item near the door and redirect him away from whoever is entering by throwing it away for him to play with and get his excess energy out. If a young child or toddler is involved, they should not be entering the doorway first. Keep them behind the bigger adults until the dog is calm.

If you can enlist the help of some people to practice these techniques with him several times daily (in short 5-8 minute sessions) it will speed up his learning.

If you feel, after observing him carefully, he is being actually "aggressive" towards people, you need the help of a professional. Someone who can be right there with you and give their professional opinion about what's going on and how to use positive reinforcement training to alter his behavior. Ask your adoption group or veterinarian for a referral to a certified animal behaviorist in your area that is familiar with greyhounds as a breed. Always make sure they *only* use positive reinforcement training techniques.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you! It may not have been "aggressive" but it was definitely his "mean" bark. He has never been aggressive towards humans before.... scared and startled, yes, but not aggressive.

It was just so unlike him, it startled me and it seemed like he was going after the child, who did walk in last and was not loud or hyper.

I was sitting down when it happened as people come and go all the time and he's never reacted, it may have been that for some reason it startled him. I will definitely try the approach of keeping him next to me when someone new walks in and using treats.

Thank you for your advice!

This is almost certainly a reaction due to fear. In the past, the dog might have had a bad experience/s with a child, or adult+child, or child with a stick, a (bouncing) ball, skateboard, whistling, yelling, staring, whatever. If you learn what the trigger is/was, it should make training or management easier. Cheers.

I disagree with "mansbestfriend" pretty strongly.

That's really very outmoded thinking--that any time a dog reacts to something it's based on some past bad experience.

My mongrel dog was afraid of Hassidic Jews (which our old neighborhood was full of) and ROTC cadets. I assure you, not one of them as much as spoke to him, never mind abused him. His dog mind found something about their dress or behavior scary. That's all. Nothing sinister. He was not afraid of cars, and he was flung out of a moving car as a puppy. Go figure.

There doesn't need to be logical reason for a reaction to a specific person or situation. They key is to maintain sufficient control of the dog so nothing bad happens. Suggest the next time these people come over you simply baby gate your dog into a room so he can observe, but not approach, and see what happens.

Your dog barking once at people is really not "aggressive" behavior and may well be a one-time thing if he doesn't typically do this.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Hi GeorgeofNE. Looks like a misunderstanding :) . I don't understand the motivation for stating you disagree pretty strongly with my comment, since you pretty much then agreed with much of it using different words. In any case, dogs can and do make associations and learn new behaviours (both good and bad) throughout their lives. It's much easier to deal with a specific unwanted dog behaviour if you can identify a specific trigger. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with "mansbestfriend" pretty strongly.

That's really very outmoded thinking--that any time a dog reacts to something it's based on some past bad experience.

My mongrel dog was afraid of Hassidic Jews (which our old neighborhood was full of) and ROTC cadets. I assure you, not one of them as much as spoke to him, never mind abused him. His dog mind found something about their dress or behavior scary. That's all. Nothing sinister. He was not afraid of cars, and he was flung out of a moving car as a puppy. Go figure.

There doesn't need to be logical reason for a reaction to a specific person or situation. They key is to maintain sufficient control of the dog so nothing bad happens. Suggest the next time these people come over you simply baby gate your dog into a room so he can observe, but not approach, and see what happens.

Your dog barking once at people is really not "aggressive" behavior and may well be a one-time thing if he doesn't typically do this.

So so funny about who your dog chose to be annoyed by. My husband and I laughed and laughed! Thanks for sharing.