Turkey Necks

We just got a 30lb box of them as they work well on Stewie's teeth. Normally we have bought 6-12 individual ones at Market Basket but this time got them from a butcher. They are a lot larger than previous ones being over 12". I have never been concerned about them other than being a bit grossed out but Lynn read some things on the internet (you know where everyone has an opinion) that dogs can choke on the cartilage. This is the first time I have heard this and really think it's likely due to smaller dogs or perhaps raw and not frozen necks being given? I know there is a risk with everything, Stewie could chew on a stick out in the yard and get that stuck in his throat.

Thoughts?

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I cut the giant Tom necks in half and feed mostly frozen. Pruning shears actually work well!

Dogs can choke on anything. They can crack teeth and require surgery. Anything you give them is a risk. Even stuffies!

I've been blessed with careful chewers. Until I know how they chew I feed large frozen hunks. Ones that are far too big to guzzle or swallow whole and possibly choke on. They are forced to calm down and gnaw carefully.

It's a risk I have evaluated and accepted. It's worth the benefits for us. Happy chewing!

------

Jessica

I think the biggest problem with turkey necks are when people feed small ones and dogs try to swallow them whole and then have to hack them back up. If your dog is used to eating meaty bones, they usually learn to probably chew and I think the risks are as minimal as any other chew.

When we lived in New Jersey, we used to get a 50 lb box from the supermarket and we would cut the really large ones in half. Here, in Delaware, I was able to order from a turkey farm and they are "HUGE". Even cut in half, it takes them about 20 minutes to finish them.

I don't give them frozen. I give them as treats, not a meal, so I am not really concerned about how long it takes. I have had my guys cough up a small biscuit and our Paulie, used to throw up the small bones in the turkey neck over night. Without fail.

Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable. I am sure that the dog doesn't care.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

It is farm in Camden/Wyoming. I have to look for their card. They come to a farmer's market very near to where we live. I order and they bring it the next week. I will look and see if I can find it.

I couldn't find their card, but, I looked it up for you: http://www.tafarms.com/

If I feed raw turkey necks I feed them completely frozen. The first time I bought one for Summit, I thawed it first and then was horrified when he attempted to choke the thing down whole. When frozen the dogs actually have to chew them, at least that's been my experience.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I don't feed frozen things, okay ice-cream but that's it. Turkey necks cut in half and I never had trouble with one of my boys trying to inhale the whole thing. I keep them big enough for the dogs to comfortably chew on them.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I had one dog that would chew every piece as to be careful of not choking, and I've had a dog that will finish it as fast as he can as if he was famished and had it stuck and brought up to chew it just a bit more and choke again. With that said, I've never had to intervene but always supervised the eating. I think you know your dog and as long as he's supervised you'd be ok.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015