Wagg Worker..

Guest nicola

When we adopted Merlin last week I was told that the RGT he was in feed all the dogs on Wagg Worker (the Chicken and Veg kind) so I bought a bag of it. I figure changing his food and home on the same day wouldn't be a good idea! While he was there he was fed three mugfulls per day so I've stuck to the same amount.

He has horrendous wind and loose stools, which from reading around seems likely to be from the food, but I'm at a loss as what to try next! I can't stretch to the more expensive brands unfortunately but I could definitely use some advice!

I read about adding the dried carrot stuff into his food and that may help, but I'm a bit clueless about the pet food thing. My last dog was a staffie and he would eat pretty much anything if it stayed still long enough :hehe

Thanks!

I've never heard of this food, so am assuming you are not in the US.

There is no "great" food, only the food that works well for your dog. It sometimes takes a little trial and error to find the one that works for them. That being said, many people here in the US have great success with the IAMS Green Bag. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent or the same where you are, but checking ingredient lists may help you find that. It's not a high end expensive food, but also not the worst on the market.

Also, 3 mugs full doesn't sound like a precise feeding amount. Normally the package will have a feeding amount based on dog weight, measured in cups or some other standard unit of measure. Check the package and measure to make sure it;s not a case of simple overfeeding.

Don't start adding the dried carrots or other additives until you find a food that agrees with your hound. If you start adding things like carrots or pumpkin etc, you will never know for sure which food or add-in agrees or disagrees with them.

It might help to post your geographic location so that others in the same country can give you some advice regarding foods they've had success with.

Good luck and welcome!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I believe they're in the UK.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Hi Nicola

Ken does well on 'Pet Greyhound' from Dodson and Horrell. It's made in collaboration with the RGT and £1 on each bag goes to support the charity. It's £25 for a 15kg bag and if you order two they are discounted to £40 including delivery: http://www.dodsonandhorrellpetfood.co.uk/dog-food/greyhound-food/pet-greyhound

Dogs are individuals and you may find you need to experiment a bit to find a food that suits Merlin. I remember when I first adopted Ken's predecessor Doc it took quite a while to find a food he did well on. The best one for him proved to be Dodson and Horrell's economy working dog food, Gusto - he stayed on that for the rest of his long life, but it didn't suit Ken so well. It's cheaper than the Pet Greyhound: http://www.dodsonandhorrellpetfood.co.uk/brands/gusto/gusto-adult

You could also take a look too at a UK site called 'All About Dog Food', which has analyses and reviews of lots of different brands: http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ That said, the Dodson and Horrell foods which rate highest on there are the Autarky ones, which didn't suit either Doc or Ken.

Both the Gusto and the Pet Greyhound contain beet pulp, a byproduct of the sugar making industry which is good for firming stools. Another easy thing to try for that is raw porridge oats, available from any supermarket. Just sprinkle a tablespoooonful or so into each meal.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Sorry, yes I'm in the UK. This is the link to the Wagg Worker: http://www.waggfoods.com/dogs/wagg-worker-dog-food-with-chicken-and-veg#ingredients

He doesn't seem to be having any problems with the food, in fact he wolfs it down so fast I think he really likes it! I just worry that his stools haven't firmed up and he seems to have very stinky gas :sick

I've got some plain porridge oats in the cupboard so I'll give that a try tomorrow. Just sprinkle it dry onto the dry food?

A lot of new dogs also come with parasites, so probably a good idea to have him tested for that first before you go changing foods.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Yes. Rule out worms first as most newly adopted dogs have them. Even if he tests negative, it wouldn't hurt to do a round or two of de-worming. Over here, the culprit is usually hookworms, and they are notoriously difficult to clear out.

Also, he may or may not be getting too much food. And/or the food he is on may have too high a protein content for your dog's digestive system. Both things can cause the issues you describe. You want a commercial food around 20% protein content, and you want him to hold his weight at the proper level for his activity level. So he may need the amount adjusted from what he was getting at the kennel, depending on if he is now more or less active.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for the advice, I was told he was wormed at the shelter so I assumed he would be fine but I've made an appointment at the vet to get him checked over on Friday. I'll also ask them to check his weight (the shelter never told me!) so I can be sure how much food he needs.

Thanks!

Sorry, yes I'm in the UK. This is the link to the Wagg Worker: http://www.waggfoods.com/dogs/wagg-worker-dog-food-with-chicken-and-veg#ingredients

He doesn't seem to be having any problems with the food, in fact he wolfs it down so fast I think he really likes it! I just worry that his stools haven't firmed up and he seems to have very stinky gas :sick

I've got some plain porridge oats in the cupboard so I'll give that a try tomorrow. Just sprinkle it dry onto the dry food?

Yes, though I always add water to the dry food first as that is what the adoption kennels recommended - I think it is always fed wet in racing kennels too. I would try doing that too if you aren't already, it should slow Merlin down a bit and aid digestion.

My dogs have also always been spoilt enough to get some other stuff added in to their dry food - tinned dog food/ sardines/ an egg/ yoghurt.... You might like to try yoghurt too, for the stinky gas. Just a tablespoonful or so of plain live natural yoghurt. My guys love it but a word of warning, some dogs' digestions are intolerant of dairy products so in that case it would be counter-productive!

Some of it may well be down to the stress of adoption, and will hopefully go away as he settles into his new life.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Even though he was given a dewormer, it is not unusual to need to do that 2 or times until you get them all. A negative fecal does not mean there are no worms, it just means there were none in that particular stool sample. I think everyone here have probably been through that a time or two, so another deworming won't hurt. If the gas is really, really foul, that can be a pretty good indication of worms,

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Stupid question alert! Will I need to take a stool sample with me to the vet? The receptionist never mentioned it on the phone and I don't want to be the idiot who has to phone and ask! :blush

If you're going for a general checkup it's not usual to take in a stool sample. If you're sure you want a stool test done by all means take one with you. If not you can discuss it with the vet and drop the sample by later.

It should be fresh (that day) and they don't need a huge amount. Some kind of rigid plastic container with a tight lid, e.g. old hummus pot from the supermarket, is the safest way of transporting it!