Ooops...allowing The Couch, Now Snapping

Guest makalataylor

Guest makalataylor

So, when I got Molly I allowed her onto the couch because it really didn't bother me...but now I am concerned. She has recently started snapping, and finally made contact with my arm this morning. I didn't touch her...I just sat down near her to put on my shoes, and when I went to get up I put my arm behind me to push up and I came within about 8 inches from her...she barked and then snapped at me. This is the 3rd time she has done this...if she is laying on the bed she doesn't bother you at all, so I am wondering if she is beginning to think that the couch is HERS?

I went and bought her a big comfy bed and am going to try getting her to sleep on it, though that is proving to be difficult. We have been giving her treats on her bed

I have a two year old who sits on the couch, and I have taught him to be very respectful of Molly but I am worried he may get too close to her on the couch and she will snap.

I was thinking I may use her muzzle if she snaps at us and send her to her bed.

I'm at a loss, but I need to nip this in the bud.

Besides this new issue she is great, and we love her...we just need to get over this new hump.

Being on the furniture, including the bed, is a privilege and she has lost that privilege for the couch and frankly, I wouldn't let her on the bed either, for now. Her "it's mine" attitude will probably extend to the bed too and keeping her off now is necessary. Using a muzzle won't teach her that she can't go on the couch or bed or that it's not acceptable to nip at family. You'll have to teach her to stay off furniture by never allowing her on it.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Jayne was that way at first. We would make her get off the furniture when she wasn't polite about sharing the space with us. For a week I kept her tethered to me by her leash to stop her getting up on the couches. She was the saddest hound ever. Slowly she learned that she could stay on the furniture with us if she didn't snap or growl, so she stopped. She would even make herself get down if she forgot herself.

The muzzle will be good to keep everyone safe while she is learning to share, so I would use it. As you teach her to share the couch give her reward when she does share the furniture without growling or snapping, and just remove her from the furniture if she doe growl or snap, no further punishment is needed.

Jayne learned quickly. But we had a recurrence about 4 months after the training so we had to do a short refresher, and haven't had an issue since.

Guest makalataylor

So, when I am home do not allow her on furniture. Unfortunately, when I am gone I can't enforce this rule but I will work on it when I am there.

As for the muzzle, I know that she hates it, she tries to pull it off...so should I not use it at all? I wasn't sure if I should put it on her after she snaps, and send her to her bed.

How long should I keep her off of the couch? Should I eventually try to slowly start letting her back on it?

Or should I use the muzzle all of the time?

I see a couple of mixed opinions.

Guest Wasserbuffel

So, when I am home do not allow her on furniture. Unfortunately, when I am gone I can't enforce this rule but I will work on it when I am there.

Unless you crate her, just worry about it when you're home. It's not being on the couch that's the problem, it's not sharing it with people that is at issue.

As for the muzzle, I know that she hates it, she tries to pull it off...so should I not use it at all? I wasn't sure if I should put it on her after she snaps, and send her to her bed.

The muzzle isn't a punishment, it's a preventative tool. Once she's snapped it's too late for the muzzle to possibly do any good. She'll eventually stop trying to get it off and go to sleep.

How long should I keep her off of the couch? Should I eventually try to slowly start letting her back on it?

It's up to you if you want to permanently keep her off furniture. I allowed Jayne back on slowly. Rewarding for good behavior, and removal for being possessive.

Or should I use the muzzle all of the time?

Until she's sharing politely I would use it all the time since you have the little one to consider. I didn't use one, but our family is just 2 adults.

The muzzle should not be used as punishment. It's for protection. She isn't a six year old that understands being "sent to bed" is a punishment.

She is very used to it, unless she isn't an NGA greyhound, so don't let her fool you.

You CAN prevent her from getting on the furniture when you aren't home if you block her out of the room the couch is in, or cover the couch with stuff--

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest makalataylor

I don't mind her being on the furniture once she learns that it is a privilege and it is not HER couch. Ideally inviting her onto the couch. She has already learned bed...most of the time. Sometimes she will just get up and move to another part of the couch a few times.

Unfortunately, we have a very open floor plan and the only way to really separate her is to put her in a bathroom and I have been told that can cause major separation anxiety. If we baby gate her in the kitchen, she jumps the gate. I can look for some things to cover the couch, I tried baskets and pillows but that obviously didn't work...I may have to go and purchase some totes haha.

She is an NGA greyhound and came off the track in March. She just paws incessantly at her muzzle, and rubs and rubs.

It is with rare occurrence that she does snap but certainly want to make sure it doesn't get worse.

I'm a little less polite. When someone growls at me or tries to snap I push him off the couch - just happened one time. After that experience Andy knew that his behaviour won't be tolerated and he stopped it. Now he just makes himself so fat that anybody fits on the couch with him - and he wiggles and kicks for even more space.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest Wasserbuffel

I'm a little less polite. When someone growls at me or tries to snap I push him off the couch - just happened one time. After that experience Andy knew that his behaviour won't be tolerated and he stopped it. Now he just makes himself so fat that anybody fits on the couch with him - and he wiggles and kicks for even more space.

That's a good way to get bit.

Excellent question. A general rule for dogs (all breeds) is to let resting dogs lie undisturbed -- on their own dog bed/s.

Safest to wait for dogs to stand and walk over to humans before humans offer petting; otherwise, dogs can feel threatened when their resting space is invaded.

Also, Greyhounds often sleep with their eyes open and are easily mistaken for being awake.

It is not uncommon for retired racing Greyhounds to have personal space needs and/or sleep startle.

Many dogs continue to need undisturbed resting space throughout life. Helps to set-up a new dog's home environment for lifetime success.

We can earn our dogs' trust during interactions with positive, reward methods (food, toys, verbal praise, etc.). (Conversely, punishment can damage and delay dogs' trust in humans.)

If trying to get a dog off humans' furniture, happily call dog into another room for a high value meat treat, toy, etc.

If Molly won't budge off furniture when verbally called, toss meat treats on floor within her view to encourage her to move "off" freely.

For your safety, do not grab her collar or reach over her. Those are threatening actions in canine language.

Some racers will eagerly respond if they see their leash being brought out (from afar) in preparation for a (real) walk or car ride, but do not attempt to clip leash to dog's collar while dog is feeling reactive on sofa or bed.

Please do not punish a dog for growling. A growl should be considered the dog's communication warning gift for humans to immediately stop doing whatever is making the dog feel threatened. If growls are punished, dogs quickly learn to skip a growl and elevate to a snap to get their point across.

During training, think safe prevention: I'd agree to safely block Molly's access to humans' sofa and bed including when you're not home, whether by crate, large empty boxes on sofa, box or cardboard divider blocking pathway between sofa and coffee table, upside down office chair mat on bed, etc. Great that you're rewarding good behavior for going to her dog bed (aka: dog's safe undisturbed space). :)

IME, considering you have a two year old child, it's not worth risking allowing a dog on human furniture permanently. Even as your son grows, his neighborhood and school friends will likely visit. It can become problematic for resident dogs if forced to share their own perceived resting space with others, especially visitors. Safest for everyone (including dog) to set dogs up for a successful family life from the beginning.

Dogs can learn to use their own appropriate dog beds very easily with respectful, positive consistency. :)

Edited by 3greytjoys

The following is a quote excerpt from a speaker at a Greyhound seminar:

Thoughts of a Greyhound

By the late Kathleen Gilley

"This breed has never been asked to do anything for itself, make any decisions or answer any questions. It has been waited on, paw and tail. The only prohibition in a racing Greyhound's life is not to get into a fight--or eat certain stuff in the turn out pen.

Let us review a little. From weaning until you go away for schooling, at probably a year and a half, you eat, grow and run around with your siblings. When you go away to begin your racing career, you get your own "apartment," in a large housing development. No one is allowed in your bed but you, and when you are in there, no one can touch you, without plenty of warning.

Someone hears a vehicle drive up, or the kennel door being unlocked. The light switches are flipped on. The loud mouths in residence, and there always are some, begin to bark or howl. You are wide awake by the time the human opens your door to turn you out. A Greyhound has never been touched while he was asleep.

You eat when you are fed, usually on a strict schedule. No one asks if you are hungry or what you want to eat. You are never told not to eat any food within your reach. No one ever touches your bowl while you are eating. You are not to be disturbed because it is important you clean your plate.

You are not asked if you have to "go outside." You are placed in a turn out pen and it isn't long before you get the idea of what you are supposed to do while you are out there. Unless you really get out of hand, you may chase, rough house and put your feet on everyone and every thing else. The only humans you know are the "waiters" who feed you, and the "restroom attendants" who turn you out to go to the bathroom. Respect people? Surely you jest.

No one comes into or goes out of your kennel without your knowledge. You are all seeing; all knowing. There are no surprises, day in and day out. The only thing it is ever hoped you will do is win, place or show, and that you don't have much control over. It is in your blood, it is in your heart, it is in your fate--or it is not.

And when it is not, then suddenly you are expected to be a civilized person in a fur coat. But people don't realize you may not even speak English. Some of you don't even know your names, because you didn't need to. You were not asked or told to do anything as an individual; you were always part of the "condo association"; the sorority or fraternity and everyone did everything together, as a group or pack. The only time you did anything as an individual is when you schooled or raced, and even then, You Were Not Alone.

Suddenly, he is expected to behave himself in places he's never been taught how to act. He is expected to take responsibility for saying when he needs to go outside, to come when he is called, not to get on some or all of the furniture, and to not eat food off counters and tables. He is dropped in a world that is not his, and totally without warning, at that.

Almost everything he does is wrong. Suddenly he is a minority. Now he is just a pet. He is unemployed, in a place where people expect him to know the rules and the schedule, even when there aren't any. (How many times have you heard someone say, "He won't tell me when he has to go out." What kind of schedule is that?) Have you heard the joke about the dog who says, "My name is No-No Bad Dog. What's yours?" To me that is not even funny. All the protective barriers are gone. There is no more warning before something happens. There is no more strength in numbers. He wakes up with a monster human face two inches from his. (With some people's breath, this could scare Godzilla.) Why should he not, believe that this "someone," who has crept up on him, isn't going to eat him for lunch? (I really do have to ask you ladies to consider how you would react if someone you barely knew crawled up on you while you were asleep?) No, I will not ask for any male input.

Now he is left alone, for the first time in his life, in a strange place, with no idea of what will happen or how long it will be before someone comes to him again. If he is not crated, he may go though walls, windows or over fences, desperately seeking something familiar, something with which to reconnect his life. If he does get free, he will find the familiarity, within himself: the adrenaline high, the wind in his ears, the blood pulsing and racing though his heart once again--until he crashes into a car.

Often, the first contact with his new family is punishment, something he's never had before, something he doesn't understand now, especially in the middle of the rest of the chaos. And worst of all, what are the most common human reactions to misbehavior? We live in a violent society, where the answer to any irritation is a slap, punch, kick, whip, or rub your nose in it. Under these circumstances, sometimes I think any successful adoption is a miracle.

He is, in effect, expected to have all the manners of at least a six-year old child. But, how many of you would leave an unfamiliar six-year old human alone and loose in your home for hours at a time and not expect to find who knows what when you got back? Consider that if you did, you could be brought up on charges of child abuse, neglect and endangerment. Yet, people do this to Greyhounds and this is often the reason for so many returns.

How many dogs have been returned because they did not know how to tell the adoptor when they had to go out? How many for jumping on people, getting on furniture, counter surfing, separation anxiety, or defensive actions due to being startled or hurt (aka growling or biting)? So, let's understand: Sometimes it is the dog's "fault" he cannot fit in. He is not equipped with the social skills of a six-year old human. But you can help him."

End quote.

Source: http://www.northerng...ghtsOfAGrey.php

Guest makalataylor

Molly slept on her bed all night...she jumped onto the couch once last night but after telling her off twice she got down and went to her bed. I just keep the bedroom door shut and we don't have an issue with her getting in there unless I don't get the door shut all of the way and our cat lets her in.

It was just so bizarre that all of this started randomly. The other day she was completely awake looking around. I also noticed that this behavior started when we got new furniture. Before the new furniture was the couch that she came into the house on and she never snapped, same with the bed. Once we brought new furniture into the house and she started sleeping on the new sofa her possessive nature began

Molly slept on her bed all night...she jumped onto the couch once last night but after telling her off twice she got down and went to her bed. I just keep the bedroom door shut and we don't have an issue with her getting in there unless I don't get the door shut all of the way and our cat lets her in.

It was just so bizarre that all of this started randomly. The other day she was completely awake looking around. I also noticed that this behavior started when we got new furniture. Before the new furniture was the couch that she came into the house on and she never snapped, same with the bed. Once we brought new furniture into the house and she started sleeping on the new sofa her possessive nature began

How long have you had her? (If you said in one of the posts, I missed it.) Retired racing Greyhounds are known for having personalities that morph. It can take weeks or months for a Greyhound to feel comfortable enough, for instance, to claim the couch as her own. And it seems that just as soon as you've got it all figured out, she'll do something else that she's never done before. I've had Annie 5+ years and her personality and likes/dislikes are still changing. She used to be afraid of every loud noise. Now, other than thunder and fireworks, she doesn't raise her head from her bed for anything, but this change took over 4 years to occur. Kind of like death and taxes -- Greyhounds changing can be counted on to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll make this brief. You knew the right answer to your question before you posted it. Trust your instincts. Yeas - you goofed. Your dog isn't ready for furniture privileges - so now you're dealing with guarding issues. I've made the same mistake- and had several of my foster go to homes that made that mistake - despite all the advice we give.

Whatever - move on - fix it. Get the dog off the furniture. Start over with NEW RULES. Get the dog OFF.

Guest chickenpotpie

I agree. keep dog off furniture. Maybe its time for some training classes as well. Lucky is not allowed on furniture, however, she also realized extremely early on that EVERYTHING in the house belongs to me. Every bed, every rug, every spot of sun. Thats not to say she's not spoiled half to death (she is...lol) but aggression toward me? Oh no, we don't play that. She made that mistake only once.

You and your dog are still learning each other at 3 months and her personality will always evolve and change. For now, she's still new, so adjust accordingly.