A Journey Through Osteosarcoma Updated By The E. D. Of The Greyhound

14022140_2105940096298591_81559716772709

As some of you may be aware, we are going through a very personal osteosarcoma episode right now: one of our greyhounds was diagnosed with it last Wednesday.
I'm going to be making a series of posts documenting how everything has unfolded to date and then I'll keep making updates as things continue to evolve.
My hope is that it gives those of you who haven't been through this yet a better perspective on how devastating osteo can be. I also hope that it will help set some expectations for someone going through this in the future who just got the diagnosis and has no idea what they're in for.
I promise I will only post relevant updates so the blog doesn't become and endless string of "Day 3: she pooped today" entries.
Thank you for your continued support of GHI and well-wishes for my family and I. -Brian Collins, Executive Director *

* Note - Brian Collins is the husband of Suzie Collins aka Skinny Hound Designs. They were also the parents of Miss Nellie (namesake of the Miss Nellie Auction for Hope for Hounds) and Maggie Mae a 5 year cancer survivor

A Journey Through Osteosarcoma (Part 1)

http://www.greyhoundhealthinitiative.org/a-journey-through-osteosarcoma-part-2/

http://www.greyhoundhealthinitiative.org/a-journey-through-osteosarcoma-part-3/

http://www.greyhoundhealthinitiative.org/a-journey-through-osteosarcoma-part-3/

Edited by HopeForHounds

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I just finished your last update and am anxiously waiting to hear if she's coming home.

Of my 10 greys, only one had OS. And she had an amp as well. (she was 12). We didn't have the edema complication but we did get an infection that did not respond to the general antibiotic. So we had to wait for the culture before we could get her on the antibiotic good for that infection.

I was hesitant to read this as it brings back so many memories of the stress and anxiety of our time fighting this evil disease. I hope she Continues to improve as there is something so special about a tripawd

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thank you for sharing your story. My Scout had bone cancer about 12 years ago--before I knew much about cancer in dogs. I have my fingers crossed that my current greys don't suffer from it, but if they do, it is stories like yours that will help us deal with it.

Edited by Scoutsmom