Interesting...

Not sure why anyone would be shocked at Alpo being #3. The Iams ingredients listed do not match the ones on my bag of mini chunks here.

Just in case anyone is wondering as to the intelligence of this website - they say beet pulp is "Pure sugar filler — leads to weight gain, hyperactivity and feeds arthritis". Beet pulp is what is left AFTER the sugar is removed from beets and has very little sugar.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Nothing on that list shocked me.

Iams isnt that great and never has been.

If it's the only thing in the world that makes your greyhound produce output that can be scooped instead of hosed in after worming and testing him within an inch of his life it starts to lo look pretty darn great. No one has ever claimed it was the greatest food in the world and Kennelmom and AHicks51 tried to do beet pulp on their own over the years with varying results.

Most of the internet dog food ranking sites just reflect individual opinions about various ingredients, and are not based on any kind of scientific or nutritional research. This article is no different, and I find it contains a lot of inconsistent and inaccurate information (as well as misspellings).

The article claims to be providing "consumer rated" rankings, but then it mentions that "Beneful is one of the top selling brands for many nation wide retailors". If a product is a top seller, how is it also one of the worst consumer rated foods?

"Purina Veterinary Diets" is in their #8 spot. How can an entire line of food be rated like this? There are over a dozen different products in the Purina Veterinary Diets line, formulated to treat different medical conditions. The bag pictured in the article is a feline formula, and I'm not sure if that's the formula the ingredients listed is from?

In one place in the article, it says, "Corn is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain. Aside from its energy content, this grain is of only modest nutritional value to a dog."

But then, it claims - "Ground Yellow Corn: No nutritional value."

I'd love to see their references for their claims that:

1) Salt "causes bloat in dogs if consumed in high doses."

2) Beet pulp "leads to weight gain, hyperactivity and feeds arthritis."

3) Brewers yeast "can become very toxic to the liver and can cause allergies and arthritis."

Despite all the bad-mouthing Purina gets on the Internet, the company has more nutritionists on staff and does more scientific research than most of the other brands popular among pet owners today.

I see dogs that had been doing perfectly well on their previous food develop problems when they're switched to a different food that the owner read was 'better' on the Internet. Bottom line, feed your dog a balanced diet that you're comfortable with, can afford, and your dog does well on. Don't let others' opinions make you feel bad or guilty about what you feed.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Despite all the bad-mouthing Purina gets on the Internet, the company has more nutritionists on staff and does more scientific research than most of the other brands popular among pet owners today.

Absolutely true. A large majority of dog men and women who depend on dogs for their livelihood feed Purina.

I still remember one designer food had a "food comparison chart" about 15 years ago. When corn was in a competitors food it was labeled "cheap filler". That very same corn when used in their products was labeled "for quick energy and a glossy coat".

Most of the internet dog food ranking sites just reflect individual opinions about various ingredients, and are not based on any kind of scientific or nutritional research. This article is no different, and I find it contains a lot of inconsistent and inaccurate information (as well as misspellings).
The article claims to be providing "consumer rated" rankings, but then it mentions that "Beneful is one of the top selling brands for many nation wide retailors". If a product is a top seller, how is it also one of the worst consumer rated foods?
"Purina Veterinary Diets" is in their #8 spot. How can an entire line of food be rated like this? There are over a dozen different products in the Purina Veterinary Diets line, formulated to treat different medical conditions. The bag pictured in the article is a feline formula, and I'm not sure if that's the formula the ingredients listed is from?
In one place in the article, it says, "Corn is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain. Aside from its energy content, this grain is of only modest nutritional value to a dog."
But then, it claims - "Ground Yellow Corn: No nutritional value."
I'd love to see their references for their claims that:
1) Salt "causes bloat in dogs if consumed in high doses."
2) Beet pulp "leads to weight gain, hyperactivity and feeds arthritis."
3) Brewers yeast "can become very toxic to the liver and can cause allergies and arthritis."
I see dogs that had been doing perfectly well on their previous food develop problems when they're switched to a different food that the owner read was 'better' on the Internet. Bottom line, feed your dog a balanced diet that you're comfortable with, can afford, and your dog does well on. Don't let others' opinions make you feel bad or guilty about what you feed.

I agree! And we feed Purina One Lamb and Rice and have for years. :)

And I have been saying feed what works for you and your dogs for along time. GMTA! ;):lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****