Hair Loss From Radiation

I was starting to think maybe we were going to be lucky enough to avoid it since it's been almost 6 weeks since Zuri's palliative radiation treatments, but I'm finally seeing the skin effects. I had noticed his skin was pink in that area, but now the skin is flaking off and taking the hair with it. He's not bothered by it at all, but wondering if anyone who experienced this did anything to help? I'm probably asking too late. I did ask the oncologist if we could do something preventatively, but he said no.

I'm not anticpating any issues for him, but open to suggestions just in case.

I'm also a bit bummed. I have been trying to set up a photo shoot for me and him with the person who did Neyla's and it's been time consuming trying to get it scheduled. A hairless shoulder is not really ideal for how I want to remember him. I know, SO unimportant, the key thing is he is doing well and still with me, but I can't help feeling a bit bummed. Anyway :blah if anyone has suggestions for keeping someone of the hair and avoiding irritation for him, would love to hear them. Thanks!

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

No suggestions for the hair loss, but if you tell the photographer that you'd prefer the bald shoulder not be too prominent or visible in too many shots, any good photographer will do their best to set up shots that meet that criteria. Or at least I would hope they'd be mindful.

I'm sorry for you and him but happy that that's the only negative side effect so far.

Edited by Roo

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

He loses the skin because it is burned, like when you have a sunburn. I would ask my vet for some lotion to keep the skin hydrated.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Topical Dermoscent worked very well for Kasey when I used it for his allergies. The fur was nice and fluffy and the skin seemed to be better. I mention this because he also was able to grow some fur on his bare bum!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015