Sighthound-Friendly Trainers In The Tampa Florida Area?

Guest grighund

Guest grighund

out of curiosity, has anyone worked with a trainer around tampa that they liked? i'm having trouble finding a trainer that has anything advertised indicating familiarity with sighthounds, and i'd like to work with someone who's worked with sighthounds before if at all possible. thanks! :bunny

Guest goofydog

Try a google search for Neversaynevergreyhounds. I'm sure Jen would be able to give you some references. Added bonus of the search is seeing Jen's greys doing amazing agility and obedience work!

i would observe classes in your area and see exactly how the trainer works with individual dog/owner needs. either obedience clubs thru the AKC or the APDTA (american pet dog training assoc.) will be good resources. a good trainer, with experience should be able to deal with any sighthound. you as the owner will know when your dog is bored, that's the #1 training problem with our breed. labs/goldens etc can repeat the same task over and over again and it's always a new experience. sighthounds, once they get it they are bored. i never worked in a class w/ "sighthound experienced instructor". just good, experienced, sensitive instructors and spoke up when i had either questions or concerns.

remember our dogs have been trained, not obedience wise, but they are ready to work.....unless you have one like annie. she did everything the first time and went to sleep as soon as the exercise was repeated. it wasn't her cup of tea. now emily was a work-a-holic. she came to me at 4.5 and LOVED to work and learn new things. she only slowed down prior to her first signs of osteo. i always called her a "workin gal".

Edited by cleptogrey