Fed Freeze Dried, Peed Inside!

Guest Kmm

I'm a new greyhound owner--my husband and I have had our Conor for about a month and he has transitioned wonderfully. At the recommendation of the organization, I just added some freeze dried food to Conor's breakfast this morning as a topper.

He seemed to become stressed and wouldn't eat right away and paced around our apartment until I coaxed him to his bowl to eat. After he ate, I settled into the couch and I expected him to lay down, as is our routine, but a few minutes later I heard him peeing on the carpet! Did the scent of the food upset him? Has this happened to anyone else? Should I immediately stop with the freeze dried and just add cooked meat?

Sounds more like he had to pee.

We trained Rocket from the beginning that after he eats, it's time to go outside. That's been the routine here since day 1, and makes it easy to get them to go out. He goes out after each meal without fail. If he didn't, there are days where he would hold it for 18 hours.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Sounds to me like he had to pee as well. Morning routine here is go out to eliminate as soon as you wake up and then it's eat time. Do you make a trip to the bathroom when you first wake up? So should pupper. Then you can go about breakfast time.

I've never tried freeze dried anything as a topper on food and I feed raw so not sure what you would have given him, but I don't think it's related to going pee.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I used to take him out right away but he would sniff around forever before going, so I thought I'd switch it and he's been fine since. It had to be a combination because he has never hesitated coming to his food bowl and he was acting very strangely about the food. Trigger from racing days? Excitement from scent?

I have never heard of that. Maybe the smell triggered some sort of memory? Or just a coincidence? I would try feeding it again to see what happens.

What type of meat is it? Wasn't there some post on here about the smell of lamb freaking out dogs??

Sounds like he had to pee and pee before eating. Had it been a while since he'd been out?

My guess as well.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes ... this is quite common in my household (except that Riley normally responds to "do you have to potty?" and I can let him out the backyard before he has an accident in the house if I'm home). Just this past weekend, Riley refused to eat dinner and then we went out (in the heat) for a quick potty, after which he scarfed the whole meal down with barely a breath in between bites. And since I can't imagine that *I* would want to eat a meal if I was distracted by needing to go to the bathroom, my pup(s) would want the same.

My household routine has evolved over the years ... in the morning the hounds get a quick potty break before breakfast and then a full walk after they eat (and right before I leave for work). In the evening, they get a full walk right as soon as I get home and then get dinner, with a final potty break right before bedtime (if I have time and the weather cooperates, a second evening walk will be added). Good luck setting up a predictable routine that works for everyone.

Congrats on your new pup ... we'd love to see PICTURES!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xengab

sometimes you just need to go, if he drank water.

I think the stress was him needing to pee..

Try again with the freeze dried. Once is just coincidence

We put our kids out about 15 minutes before they eat to do their business. We feed them three times a day.

After they eat and drink, they are not allowed to run for at least an hour. Than, they can go out and do

their business againm play, etc. That works for us. If they have to go out after immediately eating, than it will only be

on a leash. The bloat thing and full bellies always worried me with the big chested kids. So I try my best to

avoid that. I do not give them large meals at one time. Works for us. Treats are in between the meals.