Slight Rear End Pain (Maybe)

Guest Merrilyn

Guest Merrilyn

So my boy sometimes stumbles and drags a back leg but he's only 4 years old. He has also started shaking his head lately (like he has an infection but he definitely doesn't have an infection). We just got xrays of his whole body but they couldn't see any sign of a problem. Apparently his joints are remarkable for an ex-racer. His blood and urine tests came back normal. He's on pain killers as he is so much happier on them. And we are lowering his weight to see if that helps. Anyone had issues like this?

The next step apparently is an MRI and that will cost upward of 3 grand with no guarantee they will see anything.

Colin had similar issues a few years back. My vet recommended a physiotherapist and it helped a lot. I take all my to physio-sessions every 8 to 8 weeks to prevent problems. The physiotherapist mentioned hypericum for the nerve pain and I gave it a try.

Now I put hypericum LM6 into their drinking water and we seldom have problems with back pain. Even after slipping and falling on wet grass Paddy was fine last week.

I also add melissa and st. John's wort to their diet which also help with nerve pain and help to boost the immune system.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest Merrilyn

Yep they checked proteins in his urine and that was all fine. Apparently he shouldn't be having "grumpy" days and I should have to force him out of bed for his morning walks at his age.

When you say "pain relievers," what are you really talking about? Rimadyl? Deramaxx? Tramadol? It makes a difference, as two of those are NSAIDs and one is a pain reliever.

"Remarkable joints for an ex-racer" implies that all greyhounds that raced SHOULD be expected to have bad joints, which is incorrect, so if that's your vet's description, you might have stumbled onto a vet who isn't greyhound savvy.

And yes, if he does have a joint or spine issue, he does need to be walked, and he absolutely should not be in a position where weight loss is even part of the discussion. Gentle, regular leash walking is beneficial, and keeping up the muscle tone is essential.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck